Royal Purple? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Royal Purple?

I'm riding a 2003 RC, with 8k miles. I have been using Moble 1 4T in the bike, I use Moble 1 in my cage so I just decided why not use it in my bike. Anyway, I live in a small town and I usually have to travel to get stuff. The local Auto parts store told me yesterday that they were going to start stocking a whole lot less of the Moble 1 4T they may even discontinue stocking it. The owner told me he was going to still stock all the dyno oil, as he sells a lot of it. I was informed that he could still order it for me but it may take a bit to get in. Gerrrr. The other auto parts store is NAPA and they stock Royal Purple for cars and motorcycles and sell a crap load of it. I am tempted to try out the Royal Purple for the next oil change. Instead of having to stock up so I donít have to wait for oil changes. However for some reason I've always been hesitant to use this oil. Or should I just buy a few cases at a time of the Moble 1? I know there is a lot of myth behind oil and Iím pretty sure most all modern oil is not going to ruin a motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Yes royal purple is very good stuff, for bikes and cars, but then again so is Mobil, only real reason i see to use royal purple would maybe if your always beating on the bike, otherwise mobil 1 4t is great and $5 less a qt i think, or somewhere around there
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Auto Zone,Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's and Wal Mart carry Mobile 1 and the Castrol motorcycle oils. Its nice to support the "Mom and Pops" stores but sometimes its not practical.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM

I've been a diesel mechanic for some years now, I've never personally used Royal Purple. Everybody I know that uses it, swears by it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Bottom line is they are both very good synthetic oils, and if you want to really know how it is, give it a try and let us know how it felt for you.

worst case scenario if you like the mobil 1 better, change it back at your next oil change
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Or order a case of Mobil 1 and keep it as stock. When you run low order some more. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Royal Purple

As long as neither brand of synthetic oil has friction modifiers that would affect the wet clutch, it's as good as needed.
If you have a specific need like: most trips are under 8 miles (lots of unburnt fuel going to the oil sump from the enrichment fueling), and or low annual mileage you may want have a synthectic with more additives that keep the oil stabilized and less prone to depositing the corrosive residue from fuel enrichment/combustion and from sitting idle alot.
I never try to make the severe duty mileage for the change out of the sump oil, I do it annually, regardless of mileage.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 Red Rider View Post
As long as neither brand of synthetic oil has friction modifiers that would affect the wet clutch
That would be molybdenum, avoid any oils with this additive.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 AM

Actually every one has their own different experience with different oil..Some feels Royal Purple is good,some feels Mobil 1 is good..I use amsoil and i am getting very good results from it..If you really want to know which is better for your bike and riding style try out royal Purple..Both are good oil.Will not create any problems using any of these oil..Share your experience if switch to Royal one..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 PM

i disagree Royal Purple=not good for motorcycles!!! At a local Ducati shop thats now out of biz, tried using RP in bikes instead of more expensive syn's...started having bikes come back smoking, had a couple Duc motors sieze, and DNA refused to warranty the motors due to RP being used..

Im nmot a Mobil 1 fan either...I ran AGIP in my DUC and RC. And Honda 50/50 blend in my CBR/Erion motor

03 RC-a few nicnacs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode