Which oil for hot summer? 20w50? 15w50? 10w40? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Which oil for hot summer? 20w50? 15w50? 10w40?

Looking to do an oil change just to be safe I've got engine ice in her but I'm wondering if sweltering GA heat will harm her so maybe Mobil 1 10w40 or 20w50 vtwin? Motul 15w50? Any suggestions to keep the oil temp down besides engine ice and fan mods...please all opinions would be appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should use same oil, you usually use. If your worried about it breaking down. Then change it more often. 20 50 vt oil is for air cooled bikes. I either run cast t4 10 40 amsoil 10 40 or 15 40 rottela
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Double post. Lol

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I run the same stock Honda stuff year round. The recommended stuff should be more than enough for the maximum engine temperatures that the bike records, only difference will be starting viscosity which is much easier on the motor in the heat than the slow cold winter startups.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-DEVIL View Post
Looking to do an oil change just to be safe I've got engine ice in her but I'm wondering if sweltering GA heat will harm her so maybe Mobil 1 10w40 or 20w50 vtwin? Motul 15w50? Any suggestions to keep the oil temp down besides engine ice and fan mods...please all opinions would be appreciated

Thanks
Engine Ice helps but oil weight will do little to nothing to help with cooling. Having oil period is what helps with cooling.

Not to jack you thread but I have not heard of anyone running a cooling fan on the oil cooler You may be on to something there

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM

Not to jack your thread, but what part of GA are you from. Cumming GA here.
Just make sure your coolant system is clean and unrestricted. I rode mine last summer but mainly on back roads and up around Suches. No problems, but I try not to sit in heavy traffic. It never did run HOT but the fan sure gets a work out until I would start moving and then it would drop quickly.
My left side radiator was a little dinged up so I went ahead and bought some TYGA front mount radiators. But I'm still gonna need a fan or two I'm sure.
By the way stick with the recommended weight like the other guys said.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Continuing the jack:

I wonder how much it would effect the engine temp and what the best way to control this would be. Obviously oil is one of the main cooling factors and I think that this is a wonderful idea.

Why has this not been explored? Or even on the stock cooling system bikes how about an improved oil cooler? Dammit, not I have more stuff to look at spending money on.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hig View Post
Continuing the jack:

I wonder how much it would effect the engine temp and what the best way to control this would be. Obviously oil is one of the main cooling factors and I think that this is a wonderful idea.

Why has this not been explored? Or even on the stock cooling system bikes how about an improved oil cooler? Dammit, not I have more stuff to look at spending money on.
So you see the appeal there do ya... It will take a different material than a PE or a PP to hold up to the heat of an oil cooler. Some fan that has a heavy glass filled frame or "gulp" metal The motor itself for such a fan would have to be iron clad and weather proof as hell. IP rating of 65 or above.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
So you see the appeal there do ya... It will take a different material than a PE or a PP to hold up to the heat of an oil cooler. Some fan that has a heavy glass filled frame or "gulp" metal The motor itself for such a fan would have to be iron clad and weather proof as hell. IP rating of 65 or above.
Wonder if there is anything from the air cooled cruiser class that may be of some use. There are also lots of swapertunities that may be a Summit or Jegs cataloge away.....I think we need some quantifiable data here ie. oil temps. Get the data, figure out a reasonable solution, and then make it am easy mod...how hard can it be

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
im by the mall of ga area man havent seen alot of RC's up here man nice to know there some here

ok thanks alot guys i have been using motul 15w 50 300v full synth (thoughts/opinions?) and that seems pretty good just was seeing a if there was maybe a different opinion. i might just go with the 10w 40 mobil 1 just cuz of price, the guy at cyclegear said well it would have made sense that a heavier oil would dissapate heat in the summer time but idk if he was real legit or not, the motul is good but im not really wanting to drop like another 70 bucks for the big container again lol.

so mobil 1 10 40 or castrol i think it will be with mobil 1 filter. i wonder if there is like a "High milegae" oil like for cars? idk maybe thats a stupid question lol

oh no def not a thread jack man, always like to hear something new....innovation leads to better solutions lol.
on the oil cooler idea ya i have always wondered that because its right up front and im sure like a ram air set up or fan would always help with heat. its definately something to look into as anything that helps these babies run cooler the better

again thanks for all the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode