RC51 Forums banner

Better method?

10K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  fastphilsvs 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has a better method to do their maintenance on their chain? Currently I use kerosene to clean the chain. Works really well but is messy and I use alot of it. I just pour it on and use a brush to scrub the grime off. My garage has no water so using a pressure washer is out. Any method used must be done in the garage due to a foot of snow outside? Suggestions are appreciated. My method just doesn't seem very efficient.

#2 ·
If you find a way to clean a chain on the bike without getting messy, let me know.
Back in the old days with master link clips, one could just remove the chain and soak it in a pan of kerosene and scrub it clean, dry it and lube it, then reinstall.
(Actually before O-ring chains, you would heat the chain in a pan of kerosene to have it penetrate into the rollers)
But not with riveted master links these days.

You might be able to find some matting to throw down under the swingarm with some absorbent towels to prevent staining the floor, but you may just have to wait until spring with the weather warms up and roll it outside.

#8 ·
#10 · (Edited)
That is nasty stuff, That is some thing I would never do, I.Q is questionable on him.
I mean hell, think !!! It is a chain and sprocket, ( Chainsaw in a sense !! ) spinning around with with decent mass too.
Not that I do not feel bad for him, because I do. But man:eek::rolleyes: The stuff some peeps do.

#20 ·
....Motorex chain cleaner and a rag to clean with a "grunge brush" and then lube it with DuPont chain lube using a "Grease Ninja".

Here's a link:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/grease-ninja.php

Cheers.
I just checked this unit out. Looks legit, for $15 shipped. I'll probably get one soon.

I use PPG DX330. It's wax and tar remover for Auto painting. It's 100% volatile, easily applied with a microfiber rag, and completely clean compared to the mess you get with degreasers that need to be washed off. It's safe for the tire sidewalls too, wont make any surface slippery. It takes me about 5 minutes to give my chain a thorough cleaning.

#14 ·
I use motul chain cleaner. It comes out with enough pressure to get a lot of the grime off. I use a toothbruth, as the grunge brush just makes a huge mess and the bristles are too stiff for my liking and might damage the o-rings.

If you don't want to make a huge mess, just spread out some cardboard. I also use cardboard to block the wheel and tire from over spray when I am cleaning and lubing the chain.

#15 ·
I use Maxima Clean-Up chain cleaner which seems to work pretty good.
Spray it on and let it foam up and degrease, then agitate a bit with a brush, then wash off.
From the smell, it seems to be kerosene or similar petroleum distillate base.

I tried Motorex and Motul chain cleaners, but they evaporated too quickly and required constant re-application. No so with the Maxima cleaner.

#23 ·
I think I need to clean and lube my chain. Not done it in the 2 years I've had this bike. Oops. Must make a maintenance check list. Top of the list, make a maintenance check list. Ooh, something shiny outside the window caught my attention...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.