RC51 Forums banner

Oil pan gasket leaking ...

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ZeroGara 
#1 ·
My oil pan gasket is sweating/leaking a bit. My pan is custom made (the stock pan hangs down too low for my offroad application) but no modifications to the way it should be mounted as far as I know. Looks like you have to use liquid gasket maker to form this seal. Anyone ever had a gasket made from a sheet of material? What material would be used for oil? Several of my trucks gaskets were liquid based and aftermarket covers/pans I have switched too use the sheets of materials and they seem to be less leaky. I think I could cut the material to match my pan fairly easily. Or, since have never had my oil pan off, is the mating surface abnormal/noit flat and perhaps this is not a good idea?

If I decide to do the liquid seal again what type is best for the oil pan?

Thanks ...

#3 · (Edited)
Pulled the oil pan and no gasket material existed on the mating surface ... it had all run into the pan and had streaks of black all over the insides. I then noticed it was all up in the oil pump strainer also. Three hours later of scraping ... not going to do the liquid thing. Went to NAPA and bought a 12in x 36in roll of Fel-Pro Karropak with thickness of 1/32in for like $6. This is enough to make three gaskets. Took my oil pan and had a photo copy from a standard printer machine made. Cut this out as a template and made the gasket (tip ... use hole punch for the bolt holes and a sharp scapel helps rather than scissors).

Hopefully this Karropak holds up well as its seems like a felt/carboard like material. I was trying to hunt down some polypropylene locally (online here http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt-sheets/=aqihwg) which is similar but synthetic and seems more "water resistant". I am almost wondering if applying some coating to this Karropak might help but perhaps I am just overthinking this. Will give it a shot ...

#4 ·
For the sealant to be all sucked in you have too low of pressure inside the crankcase, which means your crankcase breathing is suspect. Have you retained the original systems plumbing? I'd guess for offroad use you have better air filtering, and at lower speeds you have less ram-air effect than it is designed. You must have space for a much larger air filter in that buggy of yours (just guessing from your avatar).

It will probably improve performance and cooling to address those issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.