RC51 v Kawasaki Concours v ZX14R - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
RC51 v Kawasaki Concours v ZX14R

Before buying my RC51 I considered the ZX14R and the Concours aka C14.

I ended up deciding against both Kawi's for several reasons, including mainly new-bike prices (I didn't want used, but was OK with a used RC51 because HEY they don't make 'em anymore, and ... HEY it's a Honda) and, with the C14 it just seemed too, I dunno, mature ... and insuring the ZX14R is a fortune ... and do I really need the ability to do 186? No I do not. Or do I? No I do not. Well, maybe.

After owning the RC for a year or so, I now know it can be pretty uncomfortable, even painful. Yesterday was a bad neck day for me ... I have no back / neck problems, but riding the RC really made my neck hurt, which is the 2nd time that's happened, and it didn't matter what riding position changes I tried, still hurt. My neck wanted me to look down at my tank. Which seems like a questionable riding method. So, today I'm shopping again ... at least looking around.

Also pushing me toward shopping is the fact that I got the chance to ride my friend's '12 C14 yesterday. It was not at all what I expected. Kinda like a sloppy handling couch Handling - felt like I was swerving all over my lane. I felt like I better not get too close to the edge of the pavement or I might just drift right off into the grass! Now, his OEM front tire has 5500 miles on it, and it's not looking too good, definitely cupping on the left side, so we can prob chalk up the swerniness to that. But I can tell you ... on the RC I could ride right down the roadside's white line if I want to. Going in some undesired or unexpected direction just doesn't happen on the RC.

And, as opposed to the forward lean of sportbikes that I much prefer, on the C14 I felt like I was actually leaning back like a cruiser ... and I probably was: He has risers and setbacks (or whatever they call them) to raise the bars and bring the grips back toward the rider. He's shorter than me, so that's why he did that. I probably need to ride an OEM setup ... with newer tires.

But, also ... that thing, even with an aftermarket can on it ... it's so quiet and so couch-like smooth, I couldn't tell when to shift! Couldn't hear it, couldn't feel it. Maybe I just needed some more miles on it, but it didn't impress me like I thought a 1441 cc Kawi would.

I've never ridden a ZX14R. Anybody know how a ZX's handling might compare to the RC? Night and day?? How bout the riding position? Less painful? Anything else of note? I really just need to ride one, but don't personally know anybody with either a new one or old one.

I like the idea of storage space on the C14, but it's also quite a bit more money than the ZX14R ... and I'd have to have a much better ride experience on one before I bought a C14. BTW I'm not dead-set on selling the RC ... for a while it might be a 2-bike garage. Here are two ZX14R's I like:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too was considering the connie before i bought the Harley. The main reason i went with the HD over the 14 was because to me, the connie is more sport bike than touring. I already have the RC so i didnt need another go fast toy

Im my case i was specifically looking for something my girlfriend and i could ride two up long distance. I tried a goldwing... it felt TOO BIG! I tried an FJ...it lacked style and class imo. Having only 5 speeds was a turn off too.

The connie however is all that an then some. The power delivery is so smooth its scary...no seriously, that is a scary fast bike But with such smooth delivery(shaft drive) it sneaks up on you.

It felt very light once rolling and i felt after a few hundred miles one could ride the chicken strips off even fully loaded and two up

I honestly would love to have one, but considering what new ones sell for i had to pass it up for the HD.

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for chiming in, Torque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEDORK View Post
I too was considering the connie before i bought the Harley. The main reason i went with the HD over the 14 was because to me, the connie is more sport bike than touring. I already have the RC so i didnt need another go fast toy
That's interesting, since, as I said, the Connie didn't seem nearly as sporty as I thought it would. Again, maybe I just need to ride one longer ... and one with newer tires!

Quote:
Im my case i was specifically looking for something my girlfriend and i could ride two up long distance. I tried a goldwing... it felt TOO BIG! I tried an FJ...it lacked style and class imo. Having only 5 speeds was a turn off too.
Never been on a Goldwing and never desired to ... but I actually consider the FJR before either Kawi (or the RC of course) ... really liked it, but fell out of love with it before ever even riding one ... partially due to the 5-speed, and partially due to its looks after a while ... yeah, lacking class I guess it is.

Quote:
The connie however is all that an then some. The power delivery is so smooth its scary...no seriously, that is a scary fast bike But with such smooth delivery(shaft drive) it sneaks up on you.
Boy I just never got that. I need another ride on one!

Quote:
It felt very light once rolling and i felt after a few hundred miles one could ride the chicken strips off even fully loaded and two up
Now that I got. I expected it to feel huge, but moving it around in a parking lot and then riding, it did feel light ... almost too light, again prob due to the worn front tire.

Quote:
I honestly would love to have one, but considering what new ones sell for i had to pass it up for the HD.
You got an HD for less than a Connie?! I know very little about HD's, but I always thought they were expensive.

Oh, more thing (annoying) about the Connie ... When I put my feet down at stops, my legs are right in line with the footpegs ... so I have to put my feet way out away from the bike, or try to put my legs either in front of the pegs or behind. I can't remember which way was successful now, behind I guess, but it wasn't good.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i own a 2012 zx14r and a 2002 rc51...let me tell you this much, the differences are night and day.

keep in mind that the 14r is a 540lbs+ bike with a longer wheel base so it's not going to turn as easily as the rc.

riding position is semi "agressive" and I use that term loosely since you are still upright, but you are pushed forward a small bit. not to mention your foot pegs are a little lower on the 14r.

power wise...there really isn't any question. even though the 14 is a heavy bike, power is always on tap. especially after you get a power commander and an ecu reflash.

hope this answers some questions.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookie Monster View Post
i own a 2012 zx14r and a 2002 rc51...let me tell you this much, the differences are night and day.

keep in mind that the 14r is a 540lbs+ bike with a longer wheel base so it's not going to turn as easily as the rc.

riding position is semi "agressive" and I use that term loosely since you are still upright, but you are pushed forward a small bit. not to mention your foot pegs are a little lower on the 14r.

power wise...there really isn't any question. even though the 14 is a heavy bike, power is always on tap. especially after you get a power commander and an ecu reflash.

hope this answers some questions.
It does for sure. Thanks ... and feel to offer more if ya got it. I can't know 'too much'. Really need to ride the ZX and C14 more somehow.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

In case y'all are interested, I overlaid an RC51 with a ZX14R to compare the riding position (handlbars / seat height / footpeg position). The orange dot is the RC51's footpeg; the red dot is the ZX14's ... They're not as different as I thought they'd be! ... the grips are closer to you on the ZX14R, of course, and the ZX's footpegs are lower and further forward, and the ZX's seat is lower:

Last edited by extrapolator; 04-24-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
on a rc forum talking about getting a kwak...shame. how about staying red and checking out something like the ST or vfr1200?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
its either rc51 or goldwing. there is no middle ground haha

i wouldnt mind a HyperMotard 1100s for everyday riding position, seems like way more fun than these knock off Busas

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow this is totally my thread to help you with! I went from a 2006 ZX14R to a 2003 RC51 and I agree night and day comments and I'd go so far as to say I REALLY miss my ZX14!

Riding position for me was uncomfortable in riding over 1 hr until I bought Heli bar risers and they're dead easy to install, cheap, and you'd never know it was done, looks nothing like the con, yet the 3/4 rise made a huge difference and I could ride for 5 hrs with no major problems. Granted I was a little stiff and not in the good sense lol pillion is also very comfortable and you can buy a cover for the rear seat if you want to just ride solo.

Power is incredible and I didn't bother with a PC. I removed the secondary flies so there was no lull in the power range, I also had D&D slip on race cans and lowered the front and rear 1 inch which made it handle much better imo.

The drift you're on about is due to the tires I had exactly the same problem with my RC when I bought it and it felt like it wanted to fall over in the corners, new tires made it ride awesome, my ZX handled almost as well as my RC and I could scrape the pegs mid you lowering it probably helped there. It is crazy fast and I do miss that, the RC to me is just not as quick but I think I need a power commander to solve that issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1398361466.304642.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	57010Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1398361486.497097.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	57018Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1398361504.476594.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	57026

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm going with a Supermoto for a fun second bike I think. Can't decide whether to build one or buy one as is. Random thought from me anyway.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode