My '90 VFR750 FL Project With RC51 SP2 Front End. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
My '90 VFR750 FL Project With RC51 SP2 Front End.

A little over a month ago, I lent my quite pristine VFR I've had since 1993 to a young girl, feeling sorry for her as she's ran a bike for 8 years whilst living in Paris, but then hadn't had a bike for the last 2 years.
As she was thinking of what bike to get, I figured it would be good to let her try mine...

The bad news was she dropped it on the 2nd day - but was not only really sorry but totally cool and paid for new parts to replace those she's damaged.
The good news is she had even test ridden a new 800 but still liked mine enough to let me find a more affordable VFR - and I found her a near perfect '99 VFR800, but that's another story.

For some time I'd been collecting parts to improve mine. It already had Maxton suspension and 6 piston Harrison front calipers & some other mods, but as I had an almost complete front end from an RC51 that I'd taken off my other bike when upgrading to higher performance parts, it seemed the right thing to use it to modernise the VFR's front end.
The RC51's forks had been re-worked by www,maxtonsuspension.co.uk already and I'd recently replaced the seals, oil, etc. Discs are 320mm stainless items from Braketech which I'd previously used on the SP2.

I won't list all the other parts bought for this project, but suffice to say aside from RC51 original parts, there are carbon parts from Magical Racing (You'll see the products in more detail later), rear sets made for a CBR900, Arata (?) Titanium exhaust silencer with high-level mid pipe, Tyga top triple clamp, etc.

One RC51 owner & enthusiast kindly not only gave me his original SP1 lower triple (SP2 won't fit a VFR750), but also polished it to perfection. If that wasn't enough, he also gifted me new Honda bearings, seals and locking tab + the two lock rings. He also gifted me some other parts he didn't need and went out of his way to get a front spindle when another I'd been promised - fell through.

Matt (a.k.a Duckhunter) - you're a true legend my friend. I was smiling yesterday night because of you - not least when I realised I'd ordered VFR750 bearings of which the bottom one was the wrong size!!)

Big thanks also goes out to Simon Kobe Japan. He found me a titanium can with correct adaptor to work with the mid pipe I'd had made in the UK.
e-mailed me about it with lots of pics on Friday evening, Saturday morning just as I was starting work on the project... it turned up. Thanks Simon -you're a gentleman every time!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

This had arrived about a month ago, but I didn't want to use it for just a silly reason - but yesterday I finally opened the box...!

Cool tool!

Took about 20 minutes to assemble & work out how it works. So glad I bought this....

Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I now have some Maxton re-worked original forks, Harrison billet 6-pot calipers with perfect fitting JLS hoses & CBR1000F master cylinder, (2 of) original front wheel(s)...
All will fit 1990-93 VFR and some other models of Honda too.

If anybody is interested in these parts, PM me.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Late Saturday night, I got on with the work of assembling the RC51 front end onto the VFR.
The original oil cooler needed to be raised, so the pipes wouldn't interfere with the lower triple.

Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

This was the damaged side...

With the help of the stand, the front end soon came off:

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Some more clearance & interference challenges needed to be resolved. Aside from the oil cooler needing to be mounted higher (I carefully tweaked the bracket holding the 2 row core, so it would sit a little higher & re-routed the oil lines from above), I also ground off some of the welding, etc. on the rear corners of the screen brace in addition to shortening the original lock stops which are useless on the RC51. Instead the bump stops now work by touching the aluminium fork legs against the screen frame. Will put something there for projection soon too.

Fitting tires is easy peasy, thanks to John's comments and guidance last year!

Balancing is also easy with this too (Which will also work on a VFR if needed

Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Was a relief to see the front wheel sits a decent distance towards the belly fairing.

Still got to get some original front wheel spacers, bolts to secure the calipers onto the forks, new brake hoses - plus more, but the pics below will show show how the bike looks now...

I only realised after installation that I'd chosen a spare original SP2 dark gun metallic wheel rather than silver, but I think I like this colour more than Silver now.
Sometime maybe during winter I'll get both front & rear wheels powder coated I think...

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
looking great!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I still haven't worked on the rear end, but some exciting things going on there shortly.

High positioned Arata Titanium Silencer with custom link pipe (from UK).
Rear sets from a CBR900 RR
Maxton GP10 shock with remote reservoir).

Also need to order new brake lines, 2 spacers for front wheel spindle (I have none here at present). Stainless caliper pinch bolt set & caliper mounting bolts to secure each wheel, etc.

One difficulty I hadn't forseen before is that the handlebar clamps site the bars too far forward, so I cannot turn the steering properly. This will be resolved shorty...

My favourite mirrors. (Magical Racing with wide view mirror glass).

Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow she's a beauty! Great job Stig and can you send me that stand as well please or is that not part of the 'community tools'? Haha

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App sucks balls!!! Omfg it won't stop opening the f'in App Store!

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode