I rode X bike today - the other bike discussion thread - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Thumbs up I rode X bike today - the other bike discussion thread

Motorcycles are like Forrest Gump describing a box of chocolates.

Thought it would be interesting to start a thread about other bikes that RC51 owners have ridden and can discuss/post here. Consider this separate from this thread of other bikes owned https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62097.

This thread is an opportunity to discuss more general bike ride experiences beyond ownership.

Today I did a Yamaha test ride. I think they have some of the best bike options out there now. As a second bike, I'm strongly considering something notably different from what I now own (RC51). So I did test rides of the FZ09, FJ09, and Tenere. From naked bike through to adventure tourer. I'm interested in a bike that I can tour and do some more significant miles in. Think lots of miles and various roads.

It was a very nice day weather-wise; added bonus. And I really like all the bikes in the end. I'd be happy owning all three fwiw. They all feel different and each have their own merits. That alone was a revelation . I'm looking forward to a bigger stable.

The FZ09 is a city hooligan ride imo. Light, small and fun power. Lots of wheelie fun can be found here. It's a giggle machine, feeling and looking small, and if you aren't careful your license points will suffer. There is no need to get out of second gear below 60 mph (100 kmh). Ride it at 3K rpm, 6K prm, 9K rpm, it all works. Ride it like a sportbike and it rewards you like a sportbike. Suspension was too soft, but that couch feel was cool for me compared to my current ride, and a good rider can still get so much out of it.

The FJ09 was surprisingly notably different from the FZ09. The suspension wasn't as soft, more weight, and a softer tune meant it felt more balanced overall. Not a giggle machine, but still a lot of power there. Think instead of accidental wheelies, deliberate wheelies. A better speedo display, and a comfy riding position with good highway manners with the windshield. Also, this bike looks so much better in person than in magazine pictures. A very sharp looking bike.

The Tenere was a sleeper me. The bike was awesome; it had loads of character. Way more than the FJ and even the FZ. There was notable intake honk getting on the throttle; and tons of low end torque. The parallel v twin add to much of that character, and it had too much power for an adventurer tourer. I'd call it a hooligan adventure bike. I got a kick out of the shaft drive jack effect with all the torque. At 4000 rpm the tenere had much more thrust than the FZ or FJ. Though at 6-7k rpm I'd start to consider shifting the tenere soon for enjoyment whereas the FZ or FJ was now getting into the fun zone.

Of note, the FZ09 and FJ09 in A mode throttle mapping, aka sport mode, were super twitchy, to the point of surge and mild whiplash. Notably more than my SP2 RC51, with PCIII and now PCV AT. Standard mode is the way to do it in the city. I guess the RC51 is not the most twitchy FI ride I've now done. .

One ride leader at the event today has done lots of adventure touring. He said the FJ09 and Tenere can do the Alaska trip, though he mentioned beyond Fairbanks the Tenere is the one you want.

I've now experienced some excellent rides. And I'm looking forward to what other rides members here have tried and can give feedback on. Cheers

Last edited by kwtoxman; 06-09-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I guess I can participate, but I bought before riding And you may have already read about it elsewhere here, but it's a 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R. The price was so good from Sport Cycles of Rockingham that I just had to have it. I love new stuff. I hate thinking about what all a used bike has gone through. And I hate scratches / dings / dents/ etc. What can I say, I'm a nitpicky dude. And I have been very, very pleased ever since. I will reiterate that Kawi quality is below that of Honda, but it's more than acceptable, and did I mention I'm a pretty picky dude? I've been doing minor mods here and there since getting it, including now slip ons, bar risers, Puig wind screen and hugger, and this past weekend ... a top case . I'm wanting to ride some longer distances and wanted to improve my comfort on the bike. So here's what it looks like currently (I actually swapped back to the OEM potato launchers; sometimes I just like the quiet freight train on-rush):

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I bought this on the weekend, when I put in a silly bid on an online auction not expecting to get it cheap & found I'd won it on Monday morning. A 2006 Husqvarna SMR450. It's got a carb, as opposed to the more expensive to tune later FI models (For emissions). Weight (Dry) is 122kg. Owners seem to especially like the handling (Marzocchi Forks, Sach Shock), Braking (Brembo) and engine performance on these. Every comment I've seen said it's huge fun to ride. Apparently Husqvarna were particularly proud when the 2006 model came out as this was a full race bike for road use.
Only bad things are the narrow seat, only 2.4 gallon fuel tank and no cooling fan (Switch off at traffic lights, it has electric start). Apparently they will wheelie on the throttle in 3rd and offer a lot of cornering confidence too. That's gotta be fun.

It'll be here in around 1 week, I guess. Looking forward to riding it.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looks great fun Miguel, you might get hooked as these supermotos are like a mountain bike with a huge engine in. You can brake so late and wheelie in any gear with the throttle. If you put a slipper clutch on, you can kick it down and slide the corners too. �� I've had a few now and contemplating not selling my SXV as its so much fun each time out, but yes you cant ride for long as you start to feel the cheeks part! Lol
Happy wheelies!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Mel.
My interest in Supermotos begun when I saw my friend's Hussaberg 620 tucked away in a corner of his garage in UK, which weighed a little over 100kg. He said he could only ride it some 20 mins at a time, but that it was huge fun. Apparently the engine needed a rebuild every 20 hours of use, but that's racing... on normal use they can do a little more between oil changes & valve clearance checks; both easy to do - thankfully engine rebuilds are rarely required for road use on the SMR. Every 20 hours for the Hussaberg didn't sound appealing.

I can imagine the SMR will be very effective for throwing hard & deep into corners and powering out of them, with the front wheel often coming off the ground on acceleration.
I'm not really into wheelies nowadays, but used to be when I had the 650 Dominator, so we'll see. Nice to have one of these tucked in my pocket anyways, at last.

As other projects aren't yet finished, this will be a good lightweight bike to put on the bike carrier when we go camping in the mountains. Wife drives, I scratch.
If I get tired, just put it back on the carrier again.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-11-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Great thread idea, waiting to read more from other yahoos

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
FWIW, I haggled a friend into coming on the same test ride as my previous post above and trying the same bikes. Two days later he bought the red FZ-09 (he had to wait through Sunday lol). Such a nice bike. He picked it up the next day and is currently on a trip with it. Lucky guy.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I bought this on the weekend, when I put in a silly bid on an online auction not expecting to get it cheap & found I'd won it on Monday morning. A 2006 Husqvarna SMR450. It's got a carb, as opposed to the more expensive to tune later FI models (For emissions). Weight (Dry) is 122kg. Owners seem to especially like the handling (Marzocchi Forks, Sach Shock), Braking (Brembo) and engine performance on these. Every comment I've seen said it's huge fun to ride. Apparently Husqvarna were particularly proud when the 2006 model came out as this was a full race bike for road use.
Only bad things are the narrow seat, only 2.4 gallon fuel tank and no cooling fan (Switch off at traffic lights, it has electric start). Apparently they will wheelie on the throttle in 3rd and offer a lot of cornering confidence too. That's gotta be fun.

It'll be here in around 1 week, I guess. Looking forward to riding it.

I rode a Husky SM510 a few years back. Amazing bike. Incredibly fun. I almost traded my Mille R for it, but in the end didn't do it. I'm currently trying to find a supermoto locally, they are just too fun.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Paul, that's a great testimonial knowing how much you appreciate the Mille too!

I haven't seen anything but glowing comments about what these are like to ride so I'm looking forward to having it here & registered. I'll be looking for any excuse to pop into town, but I think it'll be most useful on typical Japanese 2nd & 3rd gear mountain roads full of hairpins. I won't have to ride it the 200+ km to get to those roads having this on the back of our camper. Sheesh, I'll even put a rack on the roof above the cab so I can carry extra fuel, leathers, helmet, boots, etc. without this stuff getting in the way inside. Big smiles all round.
Will take a few months before I'll have the van ready to do this, maybe longer due to work, etc. - but I'll have the most important ingredient now: A lightweight bike that's not in pieces!

Last edited by The Stig; 06-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You will like it Miguel. Its a blast ride. They look great and sound awesome too. There is a Husky TE 610 locally that has got me tempted.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode