RC51 Forums banner

My '04 exhaust had been hitting the swing arm

7K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  TNRC51 
#1 ·
I see no bent pipes anywhere - everything looks fine; they just don't seem to fit right ... too narrow for the swing arm.

Does this mean I might have an exhaust for an SP1?

Thanks!

#2 ·
No. This is somewhat a common issue. My first RC had problems with the Erion exhaust. Loosen all of the joints and adjust it away from you swing arm as much as you can. Maybe post up some pictures of before and after.:cool:

#3 ·
No. This is somewhat a common issue. My first RC had problems with the Erion exhaust. Loosen all of the joints and adjust it away from you swing arm as much as you can. Maybe post up some pictures of before and after.:cool:
I tried that when I first got it, but nothing anywhere ahead of the cans improved or changed ... In fact the exhaust pipe's tabs that secure to the tabs on the bottom of the rider's foot pegs look to me like they're lined up just right ... in other words, any movement of the mid pipes would cause those not to line up anymore.

#6 ·
This is what I did as my Ethos touched the sp1 swingarm.
Now I have an sp2 swingarm and no contact.
Spacers can be washers or make 2 out of some aluminum rod.

"sent from the duck pond"

#16 ·
Here is mine....notice how thick the spacer is.
Holy crap-ola! Was that included with your cans? Or did you have to get it elsewhere? Does that make the cans push inward on your passenger pegs? ... almost like, 'hmmm, this isn't so good for them'?

#26 · (Edited)
I had the same problem when I first acquired my 04. The previous owner had no eye for details. I ended up having to turn the strap around 180 degrees as well as loosen the mid pipe joints and realign everything. Now, I don't need any washers and everything clears. It is within 1/8 of an inch or so during the suspension travel but it doesn't touch. I smoothed out the divot in the swingarm and the can with some pretty fine paper and blended it as best I could. You would have to be looking for it to notice. You may even try swapping sides with the straps to see if you can hit the right combination the fits perfectly. Those look like my Jardine straps and they are pretty thin. They are pretty easy to tweak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.