track days - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
track days

well I am planning on start doing trackdays cause I have always wanted to do them anyhow I will be using my RC for it. What do you guys say about it being a trackbike, I will be putting on 180/55 on the back will prob be Bridgestone 016 for the first time. Its not going to be until Aug at Putnam even then its going to be the orientation just to make sure I do like which I will. What else is everyone doing to their bikes?? Any imput would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1050 View Post
well I am planning on start doing trackdays cause I have always wanted to do them anyhow I will be using my RC for it. What do you guys say about it being a trackbike, I will be putting on 180/55 on the back will prob be Bridgestone 016 for the first time. Its not going to be until Aug at Putnam even then its going to be the orientation just to make sure I do like which I will. What else is everyone doing to their bikes?? Any imput would be great.
I've been doing trackdays for a few years now (slow guy in fast group). I generally keep a seperate bike for the track.
1) I would recommend equipping your bike with some frame sliders, to protect those rads (should you go down, or someone else take you down)
2) pickup a cheap set of race fairings, OEM stuff is expensive to replace
3) Use a 190/55/17 rear instead of the 180. It will fit the wheel better, and give the manufactures suggested profile for the tire. It will also slightly raise the rear of your bike, which will help it turn a little better. It will also provide a bit more tire patch for when you are leaned over. (I run a 190/55 BT003RS on my RC).
4) A week before your trackday, go over the bike and make sure everything is tight, and you have a good chain, that is lubed, with no kinks going on. Also make sure you don't have any leaking fluids. Make sure your brakes are in good condition, and work properly!
5) Check the org's site that you will be attending this day with, and make sure your bike meets or exceeds there minimum requirements, as well as your gear.

That's just a few basic's... I while you are on the track, trying to think about clip points, braking markers, and all that stuff..... try to remember to have fun, and enjoy it. Don't worry about being fast, or especially when some guy on a 250 passes you. It will happen.....

Mo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Everything above is good. The 51 is a great track bike very stable and confidence building. I would also recommend you find another rider to go with you. Oh and dont forget your key !

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Your Key is definetly a must have.lol
I too am attending my first Track Day-Grattan,MI July 31-Aug 1., and want to know anyones input they have on where your suspension setup was? Each track is different I know and instructors can get me close, and a 190/55 is on the way, but anyone lower the front forks. 3mm is stock anyone go lower? My fat ass at 202-6', is telling me that the rear is gonna need to be stiff. Since I have rolled the license plate before on a hilly road at about 135mph. I'm at full clicks clockwise right now, but I wont have the plate on the track so maybe gonna get softer day of. What changes did anyone make on THEIR track day?

Mods-flapper removed,pair system gone,Yoshimura rs-3,plate in the way undertail,-1front+2rear sprockets,520 EK colored chain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 AM

MOST IMPORTANTLY- Dont over look your coolant cap!!!!!! I wasted a track day over this shit! got 3 laps in and started overheating and blowing coolant!!The cap was a faily new oem, on a ground up track built SP2, throw the stock cap in the trash and get a high pressure racing coolant cap, and you will be reliable, and most likely wont overheat on the track..

SP2 track bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Also, make sure you set your front and rear sag correctly. It will make a huge difference in handling and make it a safer track ride as well..
heres an excellent artical from a GSXR forum..

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60836

SP2 track bike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 AM

- scott1050
If you have not ordered the 180-55 rear, wait and order a 190/55/17, its a much better choice and will put more rubber on the ground as well as give you more lean angle before you run out of rubber..

SP2 track bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode