Track Day Questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Track Day Questions

I am in the midst of switching my 04 RC to a full track day ride. One of the reasons was my charging system wasn't working so i could easily just lose most of the electrical crap and run full loss. On that note, how long will a stock battery run for? What are the normal charging times? Which speedcell type battery would be best and how long will those run for? I know they will charge very quickly, but i'm wondering how long i can expect to have it run for.

I won't be riding til next summer, but will Dunlop Q2's do well for a first time track rider? And what pressures would i expect to run? I know they are less than street but i have no idea what i should be running at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Every question should have an answer! So I'll be the first to throw you a bone, not sure about your battery questions. I say bring your charger to the track, with your small generator. Problem solved! You get time between runs to charge it up. But as for Tires! I did a track day at Grattan,MI on July 31-Aug 1. 90 degree day! Used Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's 190/55 rear at 30psi front and rear(Instructors will tell you what pressure to run), and had no trouble finding all the right lines. Good grip all day long! I hear good things about your tires, but didnt see any on the track with all the other inlines. Mostly Pirelli's! After day 1(novice session) when you get to ride by yourself(Intermediate), I would recommend bringing all the sprockets you have. I ran a 15-42 and found myself redlining before a couple turns and short stretchs, wished I'd brought my 16 front and my 40 rear extra sprockets to help find more speed. Especially on longer tracks! Grattan has 12 turns(3 blind)and a decent straight away that I only hit 132mph(bad map,sprockets). 2 mile course at 136.54(1minute36seconds) was my best of the day, not bad for my first track day. Plus I'm not laying the beast in the grass, I love my RC to much to kill it. Protect your baby dont let her fall! In other words-Take your time, dont learn to fast!! The 750 inlines are gonna pass you on the straight! It happens, it did to me anyway. Oh yeah! Stay away from the 1000's lol
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmvh View Post
I am in the midst of switching my 04 RC to a full track day ride. One of the reasons was my charging system wasn't working so i could easily just lose most of the electrical crap and run full loss. On that note, how long will a stock battery run for? What are the normal charging times? Which speedcell type battery would be best and how long will those run for? I know they will charge very quickly, but i'm wondering how long i can expect to have it run for.

I won't be riding til next summer, but will Dunlop Q2's do well for a first time track rider? And what pressures would i expect to run? I know they are less than street but i have no idea what i should be running at the track.
Have you determined what part is causing the charging problem?
If you need a regulator/rectifier unit, check rc51parts.com as he has one.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin Rider View Post
I did a track day at Grattan,MI on July 31-Aug 1.
Not to derail this thread, but I was home visiting family that weekend, and my wife and I drove down from Canadian Lakes to watch you guys at Grattan. Until that weekend I never knew that track was there, but I'll remember it from now on. I recall there were only a few v-twins on the course, so I may well have seen you out on the track. And that track sure looked like a fun course. Inspired by watching you guys, I crashed spectacularly at VIR about two weeks later. Anyway, maybe when I heal up I'll get a chance to drive up to visit family again, and with any luck I can trailer a bike up there for a track day. I'll have to watch the calendar closely to get the timing right. Stay safe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Sad to hear of your wreck, good to know your still with us. Hows the bike? Heres a few pics of the Grattan track day, chances are you walked right by my site. Big mobilehome near the Gas pumps! http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa473/VtwinRider/

Last edited by Vtwin Rider; 01-27-2011 at 06:35 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmvh View Post

I can do 15 minutes sessions on the stock Yuasa 12 without any ignition problems...

I make it a rule to plug in the battery charger (set at 6 amps) in between each sessions ...for that 40 minutes rest...

I'm looking at these new '' ion '' battery too...and was told that a 12 cells would be ze best...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse0esse View Post
I can do 15 minutes sessions on the stock Yuasa 12 without any ignition problems...

I make it a rule to plug in the battery charger (set at 6 amps) in between each sessions ...for that 40 minutes rest...

I'm looking at these new '' ion '' battery too...and was told that a 12 cells would be ze best...
I think the Shorai batteries are the best so far.
They are relatively cheap too and you can get them in various sizes for the RC51, even up an 18 A/Hr unit.
They all fit in the battery box and are lightweight.
The 18 A/Hr only weighs 2 lbs.

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-59022-RVT1000R-RC51.aspx
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I think the Shorai batteries are the best so far.
They are relatively cheap too and you can get them in various sizes for the RC51, even up an 18 A/Hr unit.
They all fit in the battery box and are lightweight.
The 18 A/Hr only weighs 2 lbs.

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-59022-RVT1000R-RC51.aspx
Shorai Uh ?....didn't know about those !... like you say ; cheap ,compared to other brands......

Thanks for the tip Sub........
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
heard great things about the shorai batteries.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode