Stock rearsets versus aftermarket for track - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JunktionFET
Stock rearsets versus aftermarket for track

Ever since turning my '01 RC51 into a track bike I've been using Woodcraft rearsets. I never even tried the stock ones, I simply went on a shopping spree, following advice here and there. I chose the Woodcraft rearsets because they were the cheapest. It seems like the fully adjustable ones are muuuch more expensive.

The Woodcraft rearsets definitely do put your feet higher and farther back. I find the position a bit cramped, and now after 14 or so track days, I'm ready to try something new. I reinstalled the stock rearsets (along with some slash-cut grippy pegs) and hope to give it a whirl soon. Just sitting on the bike while it's in the chock feels a little more roomy.

I'm curious though--has anyone track'd their RC51 with the stock rearsets, and if so, were there any ground clearance issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 PM

i currently use my stock rearsets as well as stock suspension and ive had zero issues with grounding them out. here are a couple pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmc665r1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	730   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmc6630r.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	731  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM

nice

good to know for others too (like myself). i just ditched my pro teks to go back to stock with a vfr shifter and i was wondering the same thing! GREAT action shots!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to race national and a little "pro level" and I can tell you that if you like alot of lean in corners, you will eventually start grinding them down. I personally like using stock rearsets (im 6'3), and what i do is cut the pegs back about 1inch and file them smooth. Now I have no clearance issues and I'm not cramped up from raised rearsets.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM

I'm thinking Fluffy110 is a lot faster than I am...lol......But I use the stock rearsets and do not have any issues. I'm at about the middle of the pack in the "intermediate" group of an open track day.

RC-51 Track
SV 650 Liter Eater
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like thisguy said, you should probably be fine. Worst case scenario, you start touching and you have to file them back a little bit...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy110 View Post
I used to race national and a little "pro level" and I can tell you that if you like alot of lean in corners, you will eventually start grinding them down. I personally like using stock rearsets (im 6'3), and what i do is cut the pegs back about 1inch and file them smooth. Now I have no clearance issues and I'm not cramped up from raised rearsets.
i raced with CCS/LRRS/WERA and did my share of FUSA events as well. what tracks did you race on? and you should know that ideally you want the least amount of lean it takes to get around a corner, and for the least amount of time. personally i get my body off the bike pretty far to keep the bike as upright as possible and at 6' tall with a size 10 boot i rarely drag a toe on the rc (even with stock suspension). unless of course you get too close to the curbing, then that is a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode