Different Apex? Different Line? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Different Apex? Different Line?

Well, I've only got a couple seasons under my belt and my only big bike experience was this past season on an '01 R1. I've heard that in order to get the best out of a v-twin bike is to brake later, change your line, and use more of the road/track. Has anyone made the switch from the inline 4 to the v-twin and found any truth to this? Any pointers at all would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM

i raced inlines for many years, and picked up an rc this season to return to the track. only have a few days under my belt, but i wouldnt say i use a different line than i would on an inline. the nice thing about the twin is you can start to screw the power on slightly faster than on an inline due to the way it puts power to the ground.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Just to alleviate any possible buyer's remorse I might have... Do you find yourself any slower racing the RC51?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM

to be honest i feel faster. but i should say this, this season is my first season back on the track since the end of 05 so i had 4 years off the track. my last race bike was an 03gsxr1000 with full suspension etc... but i could never get the geometry right on that bike and although i loved the power i couldnt get it to handle properly. so going to my bike prior to that, i was racing an 02gsxr600 with full suspension,etc... and that bike handled great. currently i have the rc half prepped for the track. i still have stock rearsets and bone stock suspension (ugh). im 6' tall and between 215/220lbs without gear. i am running dunlop 209gpA's, i have the front forks set at 2mm's of tube showing above the triples and i have 4mms of shim on the top of the rear clevis. the stock shock has an eye to eye measurement of 326mm's so im running 330mms this way. its not optimal (it should be a few more mm's if i remember correctly). as for the brakes they are outstanding and better than any of my old bikes and im still running the same pads which are vesrah srjl 17's (vesrah was a good sponsor of mine when i was racing) with spiegler ss lines up front. as for handling, i definitely need to have the forks built, and i do need an aftermarket rear shock, but i feel more connected to this bike than any other bike i have ever raced, tracked, or rode. i get more feedback even with the crappy front suspension than any of my previous bikes with fully built suspension. i attribute this to the chassis/swingarm design. i enjoy this bike on the track as it sits now even more than any of my other bikes. i love not having to shift like crazy as you would on a 600 (but then again i had the same thing on my 03 1k due to the tq). the sound is amazing and its funny to run up on someone in the turns because the sound is loud and it does get their attention. i dont regret it one bit. i could have bought a race prepped 05/06 gsxr1k for the same $ i have in the rc and it would have been a far faster, lighter bike (and fully prepped with suspension etc..) but i decided on the rc because it has character and sound that cant be matched. i also love the fact that the rc is relatively bullet proof and will run forever (and the gear driven cams sound great too).

2004 RC51: akra slipons,soft-rev,depaired, deflapped, 126rwhp/72ft.lbs.tq (uncorrected)

Red Zone racing
CCS/LRRS/WERA Ex. #96
(currently on hiatus)
SPONSORS:
Moto Mummy,dyno-solutions, mavirykdesign, Ron Ayers Motorsports, Vesrah, carbonparts
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

This may just be in my head, but it seems like this bike tries to fight back whenever I try to lean it in even a little bit (even moreso than all previous bikes). It doesn't feel unstable, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
What tires are you running, especially the rear?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Avon something.. V61/V62 or the like. They look like race/street compound tires and the tread pattern I'd have to say is a cross between a Bridgestone bt-003 and a bt-015. Front is standard 120/70 or whatever and teh rear is a 190/55. They came with the bike and look to have a decent amount of tread left on 'em so I'm gonna switch to a more familiar tire next season, BT-016 or those Q2s if they end up being as great as everyone says they are.

Also, this is probably the heaviest bike I've ever ridden so I might just have to get used to that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode