roadracing heros - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
roadracing heros

well after reading the rossi bashing posts it has inspired to post this thread. Lets hear your best story of meeting the gods of 2 wheels. i have a couple good Scott Russell storys etc. Who was the most down to earth, who was a total asshole etc.

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM

If you have time read up on Joey Dunlop and/or King Kenny Roberts. True ambassadors of the sport. Joey for his humanitarian efforts and pure love for road racing, truely a gentleman and KKR for contesting the safety of European race venues, the old guard in race promotions and elevating prize purses. KKR started as a dirt tracker, the real breeding ground for GP stardom! True stars in this one's meager opinion.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
I've heard a lot of stories from a lot of pro riders and crew members etc, but most of it is hearsay re-told & embellished.

One of the funniest things I have personally witnessed though was during a dinner with some PU reps and a few riders like Chris Carr, Roger Hayden & Jake Zemke. As a gag somebody had loosened the lid on the parmesan cheese shaker and when Zemke went to shake a little parmesan on his soup the entire contents of the shaker came out and formed a little mountain right in the middle of the soup bowl. Without missing a single breath he picks up the lid, looks around the table at the various team mechanics and in a very stern voice says "Can I get this safety wired now!?!"

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I've heard a lot of stories from a lot of pro riders and crew members etc, but most of it is hearsay re-told & embellished.

One of the funniest things I have personally witnessed though was during a dinner with some PU reps and a few riders like Chris Carr, Roger Hayden & Jake Zemke. As a gag somebody had loosened the lid on the parmesan cheese shaker and when Zemke went to shake a little parmesan on his soup the entire contents of the shaker came out and formed a little mountain right in the middle of the soup bowl. Without missing a single breath he picks up the lid, looks around the table at the various team mechanics and in a very stern voice says "Can I get this safety wired now!?!"
thats pretty good!

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Joey Dunlop was awesome from what i've heard. There is a really good documentary on Joey and another excellent one on Steve Hislop.

I've never got to meet anyone in person but i have talked to Nick Ienatsch over emails....he was the original owner of my bike and he was really helpful to talk to. Hes teaching in Salt lake Utah now.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd have liked to make it to the IOM when living in the UK until 13 years ago, but it was so difficult to book a ferry crossing anything less than 18 months in advance, so I never went in the end.... Joey was the president of our bike club (VFR) in UK at the time, he'd actually contacted us to ask for the position which of course we gave him willingly, although sadly we never got the chance to meet him before he died.

Speaking of great people of the biking world, one man who will always deserve to be remembered and is no longer with us is John Britten, a New Zealander who home built a V-Twin hub centre steered bike to go racing internationally with. The video of the story was no longer available.... one of the most inspiring stories of one man living his dream I've seen. It brought tears down my cheek watching it for the first time. This man was a genius engineer!

John designed the entire bike, cast his own engine components at home, frame, fairings, etc. The story shows the bike being built, carbon fibre fairing being moulded then tossed because it weighed a tiny bit too much, etc. He'd work night and day and expect everybody else to do the same. An increbible story.

In it's first race at Daytona in practice it cracked a cylinder liner so John & his team took it out and tried to find a machine shop first to make another, but finding it wasn't possible got use of a workshop to weld & re-fit it overnight with the help of some enthusiastic hairy Harley riders. It worked. For the race the next day it was in 1st position against Ducati works teams before the rectifier (One of the few parts not made by John & his team) failed and ended that first race for the Britten team. The bit where the Britten overtakes the Ducati with it's front wheel pawing the air is a moment of joy and seeing John's reaction - you could tell everything he'd worked for became worthwhile that very moment. The man had amazing passion which was his unstoppable force and of course it was contageous. He gained a lot of fans worldwide just in that first event.

I forget who was riding the Britten on the IOM in 1992? when there was a fatal accident, but the bike had seriously impressed a fair few people including Massimo Tamburini (I think, but not 100% sure I remember the video correctly) who bought one because he was so impressed with John's passion. I believe Joey Dunlop rode a Britten at some point too.
Things were going well before John got skin cancer and passed away in 1995.
Sadly the best always seem to die far too young and John was mourned by many New Zealanders.

I still have the VHS video in my collection of media at home, but my ever inqusitive little daughter has put so many things inside the VCR player she's killed it a long time ago. I keep meaning to open it up and try to fix it, but there's always other things to do

Definitely a video worth watching. It's called the Britten bike story.... It's a V-Twin too.

Good news: I just did a search - it's available on DVD at last! Just bought myself a copy.

Well worth watching with your group of biker buddies on a BBQ night...

http://www.biker-gifts.co.uk/video_britten.htm

Last edited by The Stig; 05-07-2011 at 03:33 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
One man's dream
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
People probably don't realise it, but Harry Ruffell who made this film suffered a major stroke shortly after John Britten died and was incapacitated enough to no longer be able to work.

Anyways, proceeds of sale of the Britten DVD go to supporting him & his family, which probably isn't much money... So it may be worth buying this film as a keeper.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

It was 1989 or 90 not sure but my brother took me to my first AMA road race at Heartland Park Topeka, KS. I was in awe of the factory transporters, the california superbike school had all of the new ninja 600's out in a line. The technology and just coolness of it all was apparent even to a child. The big name everyone was talking about was Doug Chandler. My brother took me to the Muzzys tent and i was in love with the look and charm of the Kawi green ZX7s. Off to the side not signing many autographs, was a young Scott Russell. I was star struck just looking at his troy lee helmet. While i was looking at it he called me over to him and brought me behind the tables and i got a up close look at the whole tent! Russell went on to win the race and i was a fan for life after that. Russell always had a nack to disappoint me when i expected alot out of him but it always seemed that when id given up on him he would pull the impossible off. He is a real person. Flawed like the rest of us and not a machine like some. He was a normal guy like me that made it to the big time and won the whole thing! He started late in life and made it through hard work. 20 years later the AMA came back to Heartland Park and i talked to him in pit lane. i asked him if he remembers that race weekend and he had that racers look in his eye and said, "oh yeah, that was a good one!" I surprised him that day when i whipped out his tail section from the ducati he rode at Daytona that year he had the big crash that almost killed him. He was in total shock. "how in the hell did you get that" he asked. I told him if he didnt want to autograph it i understood. He grabbed it and scribbled "still alive Scott Russell" accross it! After Greg White and others stopped oohing and awing at it i was walking away and scott yelled to me, "i better not see that on ebay!" Not a chance i thought to myself, not a chance...

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin chief View Post
The big name everyone was talking about was Doug Chandler.
Doug is as cool as cool gets. Very laid back and personable. He is racing our BMW S1000RR in various events this season as part of our development project. Took a very close second place last weekend during the F1 WERA Race at Buttonwillow to James Randolph on a KTM RC8.

We would have loved a win, but we also support Randolph so not a bad showing to have two sponsored riders on the podium.

http://maps.wera.com/results/showeve...c=171302103379
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode