Big Guy race Suit? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big Guy race Suit?

I'm about to start gettign into the track riding, and have been compiling the info i need on how to prep. One thing i am hung up on is the racing suit. I'm about 265-270 lbs, 6'1" and am having trouble finding a suit that would fit my measurements. I have about a 50-52 inch chest, and that is where i am running into the issue. Can anyone out there recommend a CHEAPER but good fitting suit that would fit a big guy like myself?

Also, i'm leaning towards a two piece so i can take off the jacket between sessions, but is there anything i should be concerned about with the two piece?

Depending on when i can get my clutch in and a suit in hand, i should be able to do one of the track schools at Loudon (NHMS).

I appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM

I know a few places that will make custom suits, there is a few on ebay right now that are decent suits (one specifically in the UK) and its like 4-500 for the suit!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Old & Slow Admin

Just spend the coin and have Vanson make you a suit.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 AM

You could try Spartan leathers they make custom leathers for a decent price if you have the time to wait for them. Six weeks was not enough time for them to guarantee me a delivery. I went with alpinestars rc1 in size 50us from riders discount. They fit I haven't tried wearing a back protector under them though. I'm 6' 250 with a 50-51 chest. The hardest fit for me was legs years of heavy squats makes it hard to get into leathers. Doing track days on the rc is a good time just keep in mind you'll have an extra hundred more pounds hanging on that bike then most guys out there. Your going to get out accelerated and need more brakes just go out and have a good time.

Last edited by cantonRC; 08-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantonRC View Post
You could try Spartan leathers they make custom leathers for a decent price if you have the time to wait for them. Six weeks was not enough time for them to guarantee me a delivery. I went with alpinestars rc1 in size 50us from riders discount. They fit I haven't tried wearing a back protector under them though. I'm 6' 250 with a 50-51 chest. The hardest fit for me was legs years of heavy squats makes it hard to get into leathers. Doing track days on the rc is a good time just keep in mind you'll have an extra hundred more pounds hanging on that bike then most guys out there. Your going to get out accelerated and need more brakes just go out and have a good time.
+1 for Spartan. I had a custom suit made from them and it was top notch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 AM

I run a Teknic's Violator (I think) two piece suit LOVE it. Dug it out of the closet and tag in Jacket says 52

Under Leathers Under Armor shirt and shorts with a pair of board shorts. ALWAYS take your leathers out of gear bag and hang to air out, lesson learned hard way had signs of mold in less than a week but some fantastick cleaned them right up. Spin guard, I'm still walking because of one, makes top snug but hey I really like legs that work. I think suit boots and gloves ran me around 2500 bucks spin guard was 150ish. (Canadian pricing from '03)
For size comparison I wear an XL Tshirt and a 38(40sometimes)waist 32 leg jeans. One piece overalls at work are like a 50-52.
Oh and track days are addictive
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 PM

reviving the thread

hey newer rc51 guy here and after a few good runs through the mountains i started thinking about upping the amount of protection i wear due to the higher speeds, and track days. I wondering if you ever found a good fitting one piece suit i am also 61 265lbs with a 36-38 waist and a 56 inch chest and have been having a heck of a time finding the right fit. so far it looks like it will have to be a custom suit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Spartan or Barnacle Bill's

http://www.spartanleathers.com/

http://www.racingleather.com/

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My spartan one piece fits great even with a back protector. Its size 50 and I'm 6' and around 240lbs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM

Rite now Pilot is running a special $850 custom made with the patches/name etc on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode