Want advice on racing suit - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Want advice on racing suit

Ok, so I've been going to track days all summer (been to 7 total) and have been renting a Vanson suit from the club each time. I'm looking to get my own now and just wanted to see what others were using, or recommendations on what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Are you the guy on the cbr900 doing moto series ?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

yeah, you got the RC with Erion pipes right?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Off the rack- Alpine*s or Teknic

Custom:

Spartan:http://www.spartanleathers.com/- my preference once the funds become available...

Barnicle Bill's: http://www.racingleather.com/

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 AM

That's me. I just about messed up those pipes along with me and the rest of the bike in turn 5 the right hand up hill turn. I was a little to heavy handed and spun the back wheel out and chopped the throttle. The bike stood up and shook hard trying to high side me in the worst way. I'm starting to think I got good enough this summer that I'm not good enough to be riding a RC on the track. A sv650 is starting to become a realistic thought.
As for your leathers I too would go with Spartan for my first choice you get to choose level of armor color and custom fit for the same price as off the shelf. I didn't get them because they couldn't make a six week delivery time but you have all winter.
I went with alpinestars from riders discount they had them advertised on this website for $100 less than eBay.
You could take a trip down to Columbus and goto the iron pony. It's the greatest store on the planet. It's like a Walmart with nothing but motorcycle stuff you can try on helmets leathers gloves boots for hours.
If you have money to burn goto northern ducati and try on some revit's those are some nice leathers.
Are you going to goto nelson in October or do you still have prior commitments

Last edited by cantonRC; 09-12-2011 at 07:34 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I definitely don't have money to burn, I've seen the RevIt stuff there and it's really nice, but talking with Todd he wasn't very keen on their stuff from a durability standpoint. I actually bid on a Vanson suit on Ebay this morning, it's a 42 just like the one I've been renting all season and if I can pick it up for under 500 I'm satisfied. Otherwise I will look into Spartan Leather this winter.

I've been thinking about going the SV route for the track also, the 900 is great, but it's such a monster I'm going to get myself in trouble with it soon and it's so great for street riding I don't want to mess it up. I also have no business being on my RC on the track either.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantonRC View Post
Are you going to goto nelson in October or do you still have prior commitments
I plan on it, I would like to run the open group Friday night and Saturday, hopefully with all my own gear this time! I'm going to contact Todd for a back protector.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Off the rack- Alpine*s or Teknic

Custom:

Spartan:http://www.spartanleathers.com/- my preference once the funds become available...

Barnicle Bill's: http://www.racingleather.com/
What do you think about the Alpinestars Carver 1 piece suit? I've tried 2 their suits on before, bother were very nice but $$$$$$$.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Ridersdiscount just posted up the alpinestars mx1 for 699 free shipping and no sales tax unless you want to declare it. I ordered mine from here they were very helpful and you can return them for another size if you needed to. My leathers arrived 2 days after I ordered them and came with a back protector
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM

That price is $100 off of their own web price. You have to call them and mention you saw them advertised on this forum. At that price and the fact that they come with a back protector is worth the $100 more you spent over the used vanson. Plus its worth it knowing your not riding around in someone else's sweaty funk. After that July sweat fest I wasn't sure I wanted to put my own leathers back on let alone someone else's

Last edited by cantonRC; 09-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode