What Tires Are You Using For The Track ? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What Tires Are You Using For The Track ?

I have come up with a extra set of front and rear rims. Now I can buy a set of tires just for track use and was wondering what other people have found to work best for them on the track. I'm just doing track days no racing and was looking for some feedback of what other people are using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

If you ride Barber or any other tracks in the southeast I would mount rain tires on them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Serious track day enthusiasts turning race pace or close to it will benefit from DOT race tires and of course tire warmers.

If you are just doing this for recreation and fun then you cannot go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Powers. They heat up very quickly (with no need for tire warmers, slide predictably with probably the best front tire in the business for learning to feel what the front is doing and they can go from dry to wet back to dry with no changes at all plus they pretty much last until the cords are showing. Meaning that heat cycling is simply not a problem for them. They are also relatively cheap and I would suggest buying the original version instead of the 2CT model. They are cheaper and I turn the exact same lap times on the original version as I do on the 2CT's, but I get more life out of them...

They are also easily good enough for 1:42's at Barber with zero drama and even 1:04's at TGP on a cold cloudy day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely not on race pace so I don't need race tires and tire warmers and I'm not riding on the track in the rain again so I don't need rain tires. From your reply I'm definitely going with the Michelins thanks. Now the only thing I need to do is get my suspension sprung right and wait for spring
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM

I have run the regular Pilot Powers for the last few years. Novice to Mid I pace, no issues. Good wear, temp rarely a concern, and enough confidence to run in light rain. My last day at Barber was not so fun because of rain that lasted all day. I was running Dunlop Q2's on my CBR 1000 and was wishing I had a set of rains, or at least the Pilot Powers that clear water better because they are grooved to the edge. All that being said, I may go with the Q2 for my next set on the 51. I really liked them in the dry at Tally. I don't think you can go wrong with the Pilot Powers. I have had good service from them. Looking to try a 190/55 rear next time in whatever tire I buy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

q2s are the shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode