GP shift question ? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GP shift question ?

Basically how long after switching to a reverse shift pattern did it take you till you didn't have to consciously think about shifting.
Over the winter I came up with sato reverse pattern linkage and a quick shifter. I was going to hook it all up last weekend but the friend that I ride with put doubt in my mind about switching. I have been flipping back and fourth since. I know why it is preferred on the track and have read other threads on reverse shift pattern which only adds to the doubt
I think it would be more of a unnatural feeling to pull up to down shift than pushing down to up shift. But the consequences would be opposite accidentally upshifting going into a corner would probably be a run off, accidentally down shifting coming out of a corner is a high side.
There is enough stuff you have to think about on the track and I don't want one of them to be which way to push the shifter.
Thanks,

Last edited by cantonRC; 02-23-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm going to my first track day next weekend after my conversion to GP shift. I made a sticker for the triple clamp to remind me. I've been lucky so far the couple times I have forgotten. Hopefully on the track at Tally it won't be a huge factor because there isn't a lot of shifting going on with 15/40 gearing. Just enough to acclimate me to the change. It has been odd at first.

2001 RC51 Penske, Race Tech, PCIII USB, Jardine 2-1, Woodcraft, Gilles, Galfer lines, Race upper. Track Only.

2006 CBR1000 Jardine S/O, Pazzo levers. Street ride with the occasional track day for fun.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
With my job I have to be able to switch back & forth between regular and GP shift at will. I rarely make a mistake with it, but when I do it usually ain't too pretty

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just do it, and if you don't like it switch back. That is the great thing about the sato knuckle, you can swap it either way with only one bolt. If you find yourself making mistakes with it, then go back to standard shift.

As with anything that you have changed since your last outing, be it track or street, take it easy until you get into a groove. It is a trackday, and unless you are trying to get time in at that specific track for a race at a later date then there is no reason to try your luck. Ride at a pace that keeps it fun AND safe, because trackdays are supposed to be about fun, and going home after one session isn't fun.

It really didn't take me that long to get used to it. Yeah, I still might miss a shift now and then but I still did that with standard shifting.

Best part is that it made it easy to use my free quickshifter:

Last edited by b.miller123; 02-23-2012 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I've got the reverse pattern shifter on my '03, never gave me a moment's pause getting used to it. I thought it might be a pain in me bollix, and might want to put the stock linkage back on, but I love it the way it is. The bike is such a radical departure from my Goldwing, it just never causes me any grief. I don't do track days (no track close by anyway) and even if I did it would be purely for fun, my boy racer days are long over. Doesn't mean I don't want to have any fun though, and the GP shifter just adds to the mystique of the bike IMO.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I can ride either style and have no issues....if I can do it, anyone can...

Do you call that "ambishifterous"??

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll put it on and give it a try since I already have it. I'm more intrested in the quick shifter going down the front straight away shifting with the throttle wide open is going to be so cool. I have a dynajet push sensor so I need to use the reverse pattern for it to work I believe. I still have two months till the first track day around here so I probably have a month of playing with it on the street. I'm going to be quick to bail on it though I can find enough ways to crash without shifting the wrong direction being one of them. Thanks for all the input I was ready to just sell it off so we'll see how it goes. I guess technically I started riding with a gp pattern and quick shifter back in the 70s on my Honda Z50
Thanks, Mike
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM

I rode a friend's R1 w/ GP shift for a few hours one day. By the end of the ride it felt pretty natural. I still had to consciously think about downshifting at stoplights but it was fine otherwise. If I had a dedicated track bike I'd probably go GP shift with it and standard for the street.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pretty sure you need a pull sensor with GP shift.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Just do it, and if you don't like it switch back. That is the great thing about the sato knuckle, you can swap it either way with only one bolt. If you find yourself making mistakes with it, then go back to standard shift.

As with anything that you have changed since your last outing, be it track or street, take it easy until you get into a groove. It is a trackday, and unless you are trying to get time in at that specific track for a race at a later date then there is no reason to try your luck. Ride at a pace that keeps it fun AND safe, because trackdays are supposed to be about fun, and going home after one session isn't fun.

It really didn't take me that long to get used to it. Yeah, I still might miss a shift now and then but I still did that with standard shifting.

Best part is that it made it easy to use my free quickshifter:

Genius! Why have I never seen such a thing before? How was getting it adjusted properly?

Well said too.

Responsibly Irresponsible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode