Canadian Superbike Weekend - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Canadian Superbike Weekend

For the first time in 34 years pro level bike racing returned to Edmonton AB at Castrol Raceway. Jordan Szoke (8 time Canadian Superbike champion and 6 time Pro Sport champion) is currently having his way with things and is undefeated in the first two series this season. Jodi Christie (last year's champ and 3 time Pro sport winner) on his CBR1000SP is chasing hard but finding it hard to take the top place on the podium behind Jordan's rocket fast S1000rr, and Kenny Reidman is a close third coming into the Edmonton double header meet.

With the temperatures soaring well into the 30s (celcius, but that's mid 90's for you *f buffs) tire wear could be an issue on the right turn dominant 1.7 mile/2.7 km track. I spoke with friend Rob Silverman (Pro Sportbike class racer) after Friday's qualifiers and the right hand portion of the rear tire was pretty much shredded and he echoed several other racers with similar sentiments. My goal was to be there for the qualifying but herself's work screwed that up so it was early evening before we arrived. Szoke took the poll on the Superbike runs with a 2:17.8 time, with Christie and Reidman running a close second slower. I missed the top seat times in Pro sport but Christie, Reidman and Luis Raffa owned the front row spots.
Saturday's events saw REidman take the #1 spot in Pro Sport, Christie second and Raffa third. Jodi was challenging hard for the top spot but an off track excursion plowed him down and left him second. In superbike, Szoke pretty much ran away from the field after the mid way point and finished a solid two seconds in front of Christie. The BMW's acceleration was just too much for anything else in the field to contend with and every straight the gap grew wider. The bike is just a monster of straight line speed.
Sunday Was looking real good for Christie all the way through in the 600 class, Sticking tight on the rear wheel of Reidman's 675 Triumph, but it wasn't to be and they finished 1-2 with Reidman in front once more. Superbike was hair raising excitement from the time the green light glowed, and from where we sat at the entrance to turn 1 (the start line was in the mid straight point between turns 4 & 5 so much of the west end of the track wasn't visible to us in the stands) it was surprising to see Jodi out in front of Jordan as they went by. The field was pushing much harder than Saturday and the action was tight and furious. Mid corner passes and straightaway shootouts were everywhere and it was hard to stay focused on the leaders as action was just hair raising. After three laps, Christie and Szoke were still battling with Jodi managing to keep Jordan at bay and both riders were running fast and smooth. Lap four was still keeping the same pattern and as the leaders were in the high speed sweeper of turn three, my attention shifted to a major daring pass in turn one right in front of us. Squeals of both fear and delight ran through the bleachers and when I looked up I saw dust and Jodi's CBR in the gravel off turn four with Szoke speeding away. Not sure what happened but after checking the bike over Jodi started back up and rejoined the fray but much too valuable time was lost for him to even hope to catch Jordan Szoke. Then Jodi had to pit so the crew could remove the belly fairing and dump about 5 lbs of gravel from the body work, leaving Jodi over a lap behind. So much for Honda hope today. Szoke cruised to victory easily.
pic 1: Kenny Reidman out front early in Pro Sport
pic 2: These guys battled all race long in what we thought at the start would be for third in Superbike, turned out to be second and third after Christie binned it in turn four.
pic 3: Raffa and Christie fighting for second early in Pro Sport
pic 4: Superbike leaders Christie and Szoke in turn 4
I have my doubts that Jodi could have held Szoke off for 20 laps, the damn BMW is just too fast and Szoke is too experienced to be denied for that long.
This being my first ever live race event, I was amazed at just how fast these guys are. TV just doesn't do it justice, the sensation of speed is so much more pronounced when it's in your face like that. I was impressed with the group 1 and 2 riders during my track day experience (knowing the track made it even more so) but seeing some of the same riders out there in competition with Canada's best really hit home. The fornt runners could easily fit right in with the AMA or WSBK or Euro crowd (both Szoke and Christie have been asked to change venues) but only time will tell. Szoke being 34 is reaching the later stages of his race career, but Jodi is only 22 and has lots of potential to move up to bigger things.
Damn fine event and Castrol knows what they need to do to make it better. I spoke with the track owner Saturday and there are definite plans for the future of CSBK at Castrol in the years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	90289   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	90313   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	90321   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	90329  

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

Last edited by budoka; 07-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
What? Was there a scheduling error??

Glad you had fun and its nice to see interested sponsors and track owners.

I am excited to see the MotoAmerica coming with the GP guys at Indy.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Talked with a couple guys there that were planning on hitting Indy this year. I got the chance to spend some time with Jodi's crew chief, he's actually the tech editor for Inside Motorcycles (Cdn publication) and the head honcho at Accelerated Technologies, the peeps that do the build up on his Pro sport CBR and the 1000SP race bikes. Jodi really totaled one in practice on Thursday, not much left of it after a triple endo. Smart dood, but I don't think anything will catch that feckin Beemer 1000. Kenny's Pro Sport Triumph was pretty quick too, surprised me.

BTW, just plunked down the green on two more track days hehe. Looks like I got another habit to feed....

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looks like a great race day!!! Glad the sun seemed to be hidden or temps may have been unbearable. +1 for INDY. Annual pilgrimage locked and loaded - CANT WAIT!!!! My youngest daughter wants to marry Mark Marquez so i ponied up for paddock passes. I could live with him as my next Son-in-Law My oldest lost Casey Stoner to Adrianna and settled way down, but at least the kid rides and if Justin by chance of internet wonder reads this i love you man, but it is my job to keep you in your place with my daughter. you will always be the man who took my little girl away!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, the sun was somewhat obscured by the smoke from the forest fires or it would have been way hotter. Downside to that is it didn't cool off much in the evening so it was hot and sweaty in the trailer (no big generator to power the a/c) at night.
Keep working on that Marquez angle...

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Back to the track again

Well, it's back to the track on Sunday for another run of 6 or so sessions. Tried to talk my b-in-law into riding as well but his gear isn't up to muster (chaps ffs!) so he's SOL. Then my next go is on the 6th and then the 4th of October to do some training and assisting as a corner flagman. Hope to do some more of that next season and garner a free day of track (HardNox does that for their help) riding. Next year maybe the ducks will line up and I can get some instruction as well. Of course that depends on $$ and what kind of shite we're in with the economy and all that. Things are looking a mite grim in that regard right now and the hammer hasn't fully dropped yet.
So dumb question time, since there is no lap timing done on recreational track days, does anybody use an on-bike timer? Not looking to set any records or be stupid about it, but would help to mark what (if any) progress I make next year. I know I could mount my camera and use that but not sure I want to have a helmet cam or one mounted on the bike; already seen a few come loose and flop around and don't need that notoriety or p.i.t.a.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't even bother checking time, you will be disappointed. if you try to go faster to beat your own time, you will try too hard, you will miss your marks, you will get tired quick, and risk crashing. just concentrate on a solid line, little bit of body position, and having fun, as cheesy as it sounds. if you need a time reference, I am guessing you're around 1;45-1;50
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Oh, this is for after I get more time/experience and some professional help.
As to actual times, I doubt I'll ever break 2:00 at Castrol, and really I don't care all that much. I just want some quantitative way of charting progress as I learn. And an instructor can probably tell me everything I need to know in that regard. Perhaps all my years of riding decked out Wings has me gadget prone...

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Today was kinda like an early Christmas. As LuckyAdam found out on FB, I won $500 for an article I sent to Inside Motorcycles. As luck would have it, Parts Canada is having a clearance on Alpinstars suits. Picked up a 1 piece Motegi for $450 (retail is $899 Cdn)! Should be here Friday so I'll have it for Sundays track sessions. Happy dance time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motegi__suit_black_white_fluo_7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	92066  
jondog9 likes this.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Today was kinda like an early Christmas. As LuckyAdam found out on FB, I won $500 for an article I sent to Inside Motorcycles. As luck would have it, Parts Canada is having a clearance on Alpinstars suits. Picked up a 1 piece Motegi for $450 (retail is $899 Cdn)! Should be here Friday so I'll have it for Sundays track sessions. Happy dance time!
Nice, I have the same one in White/Red. Its good to know we have a resident Wordsmith in our midst.
jondog9 likes this.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode