RC51 Forums banner

Bautista comments on Showa

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 ·
Does this mean that Gresini may be able to use something else other than Showa forks and shock? If so, why haven't they already switched?

Monday, 26 November 2012
Following day one of the unofficial test in Malaysia’s Sepang International Circuit, Go & Fun Honda Gresini’s Álvaro Bautista and Repsol Honda Team’s Marc Márquez evaluate their first day out on track.

Álvaro Bautista

"This morning we had to wait in the box more than two hours because the track still had some wet patches and we preferred to wait until the track was completely dry. This morning the track was not perfect for grip, but to compare the new front fork that Showa brought us it was enough. I tested the new suspension, new front suspension, and we also tested different settings. We didn’t really find what we expected, but we found something good, just not what expected.

"In the afternoon we could test in the wet, and I remembered the last race here in the wet. I remembered that I had a problem in the braking area, and today we tried to improve. It was not enough, as we still have that problem, so for sure it has not been the perfect test for us. But we have two days more to improve the Showa suspension, and they have more material to give me and to try and improve our problem.

"For us this test is important, because it’s the last chance Showa have to give us good material and something that works. We will try to do our best and find a good solution. After this test we will decide which suspension we will have next year. We have a good reference with Showa and we will see what happens."
Credit to motogp.com for this article

#3 ·
Bautista has the only prototype that isn't running Ohlins, and Gresini is running Showa instead because of the sponsorship dollars. The factory Hondas switched from Showa to Ohlins a couple years ago due to results, and the current chassis have been developed around the Ohlins.

#6 ·
SHOWA has had decades to match the performance of Ohlins and has yet to do it...

In 2004 or maybe 2005 the American Honda AMA team tested the Ohlins stuff at Daytona for preseason testing and went 1.5 seconds faster, but since they leased the bikes from HRC they were not allowed to use any suspension other than SHOWA. That next season they bought their own bikes outright and used Ohlins :)

The best one was in like 2001 or thereabouts when the AMA 600 Supersport championship came down to the very last race and they yanked out the SHOWA internals on the Honda 600's and installed Ohlins. The answer to the question was (and I cannot remember exactly here) "when the championship is on the line you do what you have to do to win".

#11 ·
I can't see it making that big of difference at that level... Maybe instead of being a back marker he becomes a 5~12 place finish�� oh wait he already does that......

Although a new face on the box would be refreshing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
He made the podium twice last year....

#19 ·
I just finished watching FP3 in La Mans.
Come on Grisini! Beg, borrow, plead to your sponsors to come up with more money and put Ohlins on Bautista's bike!
I think he good enough to be in contention for a podium.
Did anyone see that nasty crash he had in FP3? Damn, he hit hard and his legs got all crossed up.

#21 ·
I spoke with JD this morning....I let him know that too. He uses the MotoGP site instead of regular tv, thus the time delay:D

Soooo......what is the best finish for Bautista this year??:rolleyes::p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.