Begin to get into track days - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Begin to get into track days

Well the Rc51 is gonna become a Semi retired street bike
I Plan to get into riding track being we have a track opening up about 2hrs from me its a 2.1mile track an Team Pro Motion is doing stuff there..So my question to everybody is

1. Where to get a track suit an what type should I look for
2. Where an what kinda boots
3. What should I do to the bike? will street tires be ok ?

please keep in mind Im not lookin to turn the bike into a full on track bike is gonna be a Dual Purpose bike with probally 1-2 track days a month a some street time between that..

Im buying a Kawasaki Vaquero Cruiser for my daily riding so I was gonna sell the rc51 but I just cant part wth it..

Thanks in Advance
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
1-2 days per month is a fair amount of track time.

If you want to get better, then prepare to buy a suit you won't care about crashing in. For me, that wasn't a $3k suit. I bought a NOS 1 piece at a great price and it worked very well.

Buy quality boots that fit well. I have sidi.

Go race tires for sure. DOT and your okay. It is much better ime to use race tires on the track and street rather than street tires on the track. Unless you get another set of wheels.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM

1. You'll probably get quite a few opinions on particular brands and models - in the Northeast a lot of people swear by Vanson, and a few swear at them. I've bought a $300 eBay suit and crashed in it and it was fine. I have a Kobe suit now and it sucks. You'll want good ventilation (you can always add a windbreaker underneath it in cooler weather), good YKK zippers, and CE armour in elbows and shoulders. Most suits have single zippers in front, but some people prefer 2 zippers so the front can be opened completely between sessions (makes chest protectors easier to deal with too).

2. Invest in good boots. Ankle and foot injuries suck. Sidi's are great boots, but they run narrow, so if you have wide feet, I'd consider A*. I've heard good things about the Supertech-R's.

3. The website of whoever you ride with will tell you what's needed for your bike and for yourself. It varies by track day organization. I ride with Tony's Track Days and the requirements are removing or taping all glass - mirrors, headlight, removing or taping the tailight/brakelight, and good tires, brake pads, no oil leaks, etc. Replacing coolant with water is preferred but not mandatory. It's a good idea to go over your bike before the trackday to check for loose bolts, etc. If you're doing a lot of trackdays, you'll probably want to safety wire the bike.

For a new track day rider DOT tires are OK. If you're doing 1-2 days/month, you'll go through those pretty quickly. You can replace with stickier but still DOT legal tires, or go with slicks. If you get slicks, consider tire warmers (and stands).

Other stuff you didn't ask about - a back protector and I'd strongly recommend a chest protector too. Since you're planning on a lot a track days, consider a set of spare wheels with rains mounted, and rain gear including glove and boot covers.

I hope this helps!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Alot of help an thank you, im lookin at a few suits that run about 800 dollars, i know whats gonna happen once i get on the track im gonna be hooked which i wont mind i cant afford to get tickets being i drive truck for a living so thats why im geared towards getting off the street i figure ill try dot tires the first couple times with i become hooked then ill buy different tires.
If anyone wants to see the track they just built near me search "nysafteytrack" im excited to get this bike out on a track an stretch it out some
Sent from my N860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Get a one piece set of perforated leathers. Doesn't have to be crazy high end stuff, but don't buy junk. A good used set of name brand stuff is good enough. I like one piece suits because they are less bulky on the bike, and safter. Get a back protector. I prefer the vest style that also has a chest protector, as it keeps the back protector from moving at all. Makes it easier to take the one piece suit on and off.

Gloves and boots: get the best you can afford. If you are going to try and save pennies, get used non-crashed stuff. I have Alpinestars gp tech gloves and they rock, and SMX plus boots. The boots aren't bad and I picked them up second hand cheap. They squeak like a mother fucker when I walk though.

For the bike: Check all the fluids, put on track skins if you can. Street tires are just fine if you are starting new. I'm still on pilot power 2ct's running mid pack in intermediate level. I've done about 6 or 7 days on them with minimal wear. Safety wire you oil drain and other fluid drains.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I run a fieldsheer 2 piece suit. Love it crash tested and you can take the jacket off between sessions........much nicer in the summer

sent from my galaxy 3. iPhone killer
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd keep the RC for road riding and buy a smaller cheap track bike I wouldn't so much mind crashing if going to a circuit twice a month...
Even a motard bike, perhaps - which can also double as a town tool and negate the need for a cruiser maybe.
RC is a bit too big for learning track days on compared to what else is available but if the RC rocks your boat for this sort of use that's cool too.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 12-21-2012 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Even a motard bike.......

This is my next bike, I like the lil APE's ......they have a supermoto track here, they do drifting races, and race's and all kinds a stuff with mad skillz!!!!!

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Motards are much less likely to highside and possibly cause your body & bike serious damage, due to their softer suspension too. They're light, so quite capable of embarassing larger bikes around corners and being so light they're easier to wheelie, drift, etc. Different bike to an RC!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Ive been on a few motards i wasnt really comfy on them, the rc will be a test platform for track days if i like it alot i have a friend willin to sell me a 600rr full on track bike so we will see how it goes in the spring

Btw i found yet another rc51 in my area so that makes 6

Sent from my N860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode