25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Intro to the track

Hi all,
On average, what is the total cost to covert a street RC into a designated track bike?

2002 Baconator SP2 with things and shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
It depends which clubs and tracks you use. Look into that, and your question will be answered thru what's required to pass bike inspection.
I went to Thunderhill with PTT, stayed in C group. I didn't spend any money at all on the bike, just met track safety requirements.
However, you need new or next to new tires.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
+1 on jondog
My RC is pretty much track only at this point. Picked her up in like 05' and have just collected alot of bits through the years. Overall just safety stuff is all you NEED. Most people of course are never happy with just that(me included obviously). Tires and safety gear, do you have any track experience? If no I would say do track days for a bit. One thing is the RC isn't really a very competitive platform anymore. Incredibly capable but modern bikes are just so far beyond. Us here on the forum tend to have a thing for the "old Pigs", but they are outdated.
jondog9 likes this.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the response. I sadly don't have many options for tracks around me which I've discovered after posting my OP. I'm sure the track scene is pretty addicting as the RC was made for it. Although I'm looking at a 15 yr old motorcycle, it seems the 51 is still a pretty competitive bike and still able to offer a solid platform for a new racer.

One thing of course leads to another I'm sure... New and improved brakes, new suspension, new fairings, new rubber, new lighter wheels, finding anything and everything to drop weight... I can see how thousands of dollars could easily find it's way to the 'paying off the bills' pile.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nope. No track time here. My first bike was an 03 SV100S that I bought in 2006 and sold in 2009 due to moving to England for some time. Haven't been on a bike since. I know I'll be just fine on the RC if I take it slow getting back into the groove.

I'm a little bummed that the RC isn't competitive anymore. I mean, it makes sense... It's an old bike and I4's have taken over for a reason. But still, that immediate power of a V-twin I thought was enough to at least keep it in the crowd and made you feel like you could hold your own.

In any case, I've been absolutely in love with the RC51 and I'm happy for what it is. I'm fully aware that it's heavy and a little lacking in HP but if I wanted something cutting edge and new, I'd of gone with a new bike. I intend to enjoy this bike for many years to come.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't get me wrong, I would love a lighter and faster bike. I have a 2017 fz10 as a daily rider, and man oh man what an R1 must feel like on the track....BUT, the RC is perfect for me, holds that mystique of the RC line, and is meant for the track. I have a ton of spares too. It's enough for me for sure. Honestly your money best spent immediately aside from the maintenance items is suspension! Good front pads too. They are about as fast a modern 600's honestly just heavy, so they take some work to throw around. But it's an RC!!!! Mine has been pretty bullet proof so far knock on wood.
Oh, and do some track days asap! Get a taste first, but you'll be addictive. Most track organizations have race license schools attached to them so check that out too. Good luck brother, have fun!
budoka likes this.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I got mine down to 9 seconds off the lap record in moderate trackday traffic during a testing day and I am a fat bastard. The RC is never going to be competitive with current machinery, but if set up properly and that means spending more money than most want to throw at a 15 year old bike then even though it may not be on the razors edge, it ain't dull either!

You just have to realize what you are riding and that it is not only dated technology, but it was never that good to begin with. A little honesty goes a long way towards deciding if the RC51 is really a good fit for your needs or if you'll be wanting something else shortly down the road.
BjjRonin and thechefjpratt like this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I got mine down to 9 seconds off the lap record in moderate trackday traffic during a testing day and I am a fat bastard. The RC is never going to be competitive with current machinery, but if set up properly and that means spending more money than most want to throw at a 15 year old bike then even though it may not be on the razors edge, it ain't dull either!

You just have to realize what you are riding and that it is not only dated technology, but it was never that good to begin with. A little honesty goes a long way towards deciding if the RC51 is really a good fit for your needs or if you'll be wanting something else shortly down the road.
Well said.

I've heard these same sentiments repeated over and over by legit track guys who know what they're talking about.
After one day on the track with my RC51, I decided it was to costly for repairs to keep her looking purdy for the street and mountain roads. Some fairing panels are not available from Honda anymore, that just leaves used OEM's or aftermarket crap.
I want to do (casual) track days some more, but decided to wait till I can buy a more modern 600, dedicated for track. But that's just me. I'm old, and decided to keep the RC51 in as pristine shape as possible.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Depends what you're after. Dedicated trackday bike to have fun, sound sweet, and not blend in (at a medium pace): fresh suspension, tires, and brakes. Race bike: same + everything else. If you are racing, your money is better spent buying an already setup GSXR/Ninja/CBR which are cheap and so are spares. Best of both worlds: find an RC already setup, add gas, + trackday money (my route)
BjjRonin and thechefjpratt like this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM

@budoka has recently done a bunch of trackdays, maybe he can chime in with his input.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode