1st track day and tech inspection - Page 3 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Yesterday I finished track day #3. Same track as before but through an entirely different organization as the first two I attended. This weekend is an OMRRA race so there were a lot of folks there doing prep for the weekend. The focus with this organizer felt entirely different from what I've experienced previously. There were four groups instead of three so the sessions were only 15 minutes each hour but they felt even shorter once I was on the track. The beginner group had control riders but there was no instruction given to the newbs. A guy in the pits next to me was on a brand new GSXR1000 and had never been on a track before. He ran off the track on his first time out because he didn't know the line or the layout. Fortunately, he kept the bike upright but it did make me concerned over who else might be on the track with me. Still had a great time and had 5 different people ask me about my RC. They all either have one, had one, or know it's history. That was pretty cool.

This is from track day #2

\_(ツ)_/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
JK's previous post has some very good sense in it, but I have to disagree somewhat on the license thing. A good race school with highly competent and successful racers as instructors (and their licensing program) is a very valuable tool in learning techniques that will often take a very long time to master on your own, if ever to do properly. As with anything, there are exceptions but unless you are prepared to take the leaps and make all the mistakes that others made and learned from that they can help you avoid, it can be a painful (and costly) journey. Not saying it eliminates crashes or anything else, but you will learn more in a better environment than just trying it on your own on recreational track days. Learning the correct way is still the best way. Lower lap times should be the benefit, not the immediate goal.
As to not giving newbies any instruction whatsoever is a sign that there is a (to me) serious lack of professionalism and safety protocols in their operation. Your pit neighbor is a classic example of that and he's lucky to have stayed upright and never binned it big time.
Many novice riders are just as fast (quick is a better word really) as lots of intermediate class riders, but the closing speeds and time factors are much higher/tighter overall. Should you want to move up, make sure you are ready for that.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in