1st track day and tech inspection - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
1st track day and tech inspection

Today I signed up for my first track day which will take place June 2nd at PIR. I've been getting fit, prepping the bike and bought a new suit, back armor and boots. At today's sign up they mentioned three things which I was hoping to get some other opinions on. I know that ultimately the decision is up the the event organizer but it doesn't hurt to discuss.

First thing are the tires. The only requirement is 75% life left in tread. My tires are in good shape and appear to have the required tread but the production date is July 2013. They said to bring the bike by the dealership ahead of time so they can take a look at them but I suspect that new tires will have to be mounted to pass tech. Although I'm in C-group and may get a pass, I'm wondering if I should even bother and just get new rubber.

Second is my helmet. I have a AGV K3 purchased in 2012 and while it doesn't specify in the requirements they said they want a SNELL 2015 approved helmet. Can my helmet really be too old? Is this another cost I should just accept.

Third are my gloves. I have A-stars SP-2 gauntlets but they do not have the double wrist velcro adjustment. There's just a single large velcro piece. It's not specifically listed in the requirements but is this another disqualifier for tech inspection?

My brake pads are good. The requirement is 50% life. Coolent is OK to run. No safety wiring required.

I heard so many people say track days become a very expensive endeavor and I can shell out what's appropriate so I'm safe and up to spec. It just seems like every time I turn around there's another cost that pops up.

TLDR; Suck it up and buy new tires, helmet and gloves?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Very few trackday orgs check your gear at tech inspection. I haven't personally seen that done at a trackday for at least 10 years and even then it was exceptionally rare.

I 100% agree with having a current helmet. If that is their rule follow it.

I would NEVER run 6 year old tires at a track event under ANY circumstances - not even a parade lap at the Historics Festival. You think tires and a helmet are expensive purchases wait til you see how much it cost to put your bike back together after you throw it into the kitty litter because your tires were old and shitty..
Craig Conger likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK. New Q3+'s have been ordered. Now I just have to sort out the Helmet. The rules state "Helmets must be full-face style, minimum Snell 2010 or ECE-approved with a full-coverage faceshield, in good condition". The contact at the dealer said Snell 2015 so I will have to call them for clarification (AGV doesn't carry Snell certification, only DOT and ECE). Last thing I want is for them to fail me from tech for such a minor detail.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
if you're in a newer name brand helmet you'll be fine.

they don't want people in decades old brain buckets, or in shitty amazon rip off helmets.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
haha truth!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
if you're in a newer name brand helmet you'll be fine.
This is pretty much what everyone with experience has been telling me. Thank you LDH and Wibbly for the feed back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
My buddy thought he could run his 5 year old tires on his zx6r at Laguna Seca this last weekend.
He's a A group rider who's normally used to his track-only R6 with slicks.
Well, he was riding b group, and tires lost grip on turn 5. End of session. About $1500 to replace plastics.
Russ*Collins51 likes this.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
My buddy thought he could run his 5 year old tires on his zx6r at Laguna Seca this last weekend.
He's a A group rider who's normally used to his track-only R6 with slicks.
Well, he was riding b group, and tires lost grip on turn 5. End of session. About $1500 to replace plastics.
I found at a similar thing with older auto tires. Bought a couple OEM spare wheels with original tires on them, that had never been used. Still had the tits on them. When I took them to Les Schwab to get them mounted on a couple spare Ford alloy wheels I have, they wouldn't touch them, cause they were over 6 years old. Had to find a local tire guy that would do it for cash. Tires are fine, just beyond the legal limits for big chain tire stores to deal with. Out here in the country, its a good idea to have more than one spare handy, due to all the possible road hazards you get to deal with on a regular basis. I would never do something like that with my motorcycle though.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
SP2 eh? so matching gloves to the bike? :-)

In our Dutch SP group we had a guy who firmly believed his older 2Ct's were ok for a trackday.
Doing 120MPH on his tacho at Bos Uit proved him wrong. Nice "Eddy the Eagle" video though....
He is now riding hooverboards for fun..... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	130135  

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode