Washington Mud Slides - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Washington Mud Slides

I hope every one is okay and no family members are effected by this mud slide. Very sad to hear so many people missing.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mad. I know of and have friends who know people displaced...yes displaced by the back up of the stilliguamish river. I dont personally know anyone dead or as of now missing, and im thankful for that!

I live in Arlington and have traveled 530 many many times in my life, so i know exactly where this slide occurred.

This is a beautiful area and many time i have talked of moving there later in my life.

I remember the 2006 slide, but it was minor in comparison to Saturdays slide.

We are a very close community and there is an outpouring of support. Thank you for your thought's and prayers!

An eerie side note to this...
My HD riding group and i met up in the nearby town of Granite Fall's Saturday morning. We discussed heading east on 530 towards Darrington and Marblmount...instead agreeing to ride west toward the Puget sound. If we had gone east we most likely would have been in the slide path at the moment it slid across 530

Davine intervention

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I hope the situation improves for everyone quickly.

Yes, it is strange to see on the news areas that get destroyed either by natural disaster and you recognize the area.

New Orleans, Joplin just to name recent a couple.

Take care.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
It's a very sad loss and we can only pray right now for the safety of those whose homes were damaged.

Not meaning to be unsensitive, but from living in Japan (Where mudslides are not uncommon in combination with earhquakes and heavy typhoon rains) looking at Google Images and doing a bit of reading I think I can see the reason for these mudslides.
These are areas where in the past there has likely been heavy de-forestation (& some replanting of conifers - which don't have very strong, nor deep roots). Many gardens in pictures show large areas of grass - which really doesn't help soak water deep into the ground & distribute it when there are heavy rains... The roots of grass are only as deep as the grass itself and it's also not strong and then it acts as a ground cover, where nothing else of significance grows.
And so the water sits not far below the surface with nowhere to go...

Hardwood trees tend to have the deepest & most widespread roots and would be what should have been re-planted & maintained in areas where there is danger of landslides. The height of a tree is roughly the depth of the main root. Sadly, people placed a lot of value on large hardwoods and so these were cut down a long time ago and the trees that replaced are just pioneer species which grow very quickly and are much easier to culture but don't offer much safety through deep & strong root growth. Being evergreens, the land doesn't get much exposure to sun (especially in winter where deciduous trees lose their leaves) and so it's got a lot of water stored in it and the soil around such trees is usually soft.

With heavy rains, as there are no deep roots to channel the water down deeply, the land gets soft & heavy with water and then as there's no underground structure to bind it together - it can eventually slide. Mining of the sides of mountains to make roads, infrastructure, etc. can also weaken the hillside structure.

It's amazing the lack of basic understanding that local governments have into what re-generates water and how to make it work to our benefit. In the UK they've had severe flooding this winter and people think it's just an act of nature, but they fail to realise that forests have dissapeared to be replaced by farms with grazing for cattle (Farmers are actually susidised by the government for creating larger areas for animal grazing!).

To see the effects of de-forestation you only need to see the colour of the water in rivers during & after heavy rains and witness how much soil is washed into the rivers. Then look at old growth (hardwood) forests and the lack of silt in the rivers around and compare the difference. More hardwoods are what should have been grown to prevent disasters becoming a consequence of de-forestation in previous decades.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Check this out.

http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/lo...0mudslide.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode