Big guy on stock RC51. Looking for stiffer suspension for big guy. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big guy on stock RC51. Looking for stiffer suspension for big guy.

Hey,
I bought the bike that I've always wanted for myself this past christmas; it was an RC51. I had ever ridden before either. All of my friends told me to buy a smaller bike before the RC51 because it was a big bike and all that nonsense. I just told myself that I wouldnt allow myself to be a statistic; you know, the people that buy their first bike... they rev it up on their first ride, dump the clutch, and destroy their machine. I'm not out of the woods yet. Today was the first time on the Interstate. Still haven't taken my bike above 73mph. I'm such a wuss.
The reason for this post is as follows. Im a BiG Guy. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 278 Lbs. I weigh around 3/5 the weight of my bike. I dont have much of a problem with the suspension although i have the front shocks adjusted to the stiffest setting yet i haven't even tried to adjust the rear. I need to know what replacement springs, oil viscosity, or any suspension upgrades that I should do so that I can have the ride quality of an average sized man. Like I said before, I'm completely new to riding although it's somthing that I've wanted to do since i could walk.
If you have the time, please let me know what suspension upgrades i should make for a person of my stature.... 6'4" @ 278 lbs. Also, is there a way to slide the seat back on a Honda RC51? Or do they make aftermarket seats so that a tall person can ride and possibly crouch down behind the windscreen.
Thanks,
Chef Luis A. Pernia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the typos. didnt have time for spell check.
wanted to add that I bought this bike with a salvaged title. The bike looks and rides pretty well but like i said above, I'm a Noobie. I know cars and thats it. Everything damaged has been replaced except for a few scratched fairing peices and the magneto cover. I ordered a replacement for that as well as a set of Stainless clutch and brake lines. I really need to stiffen up the suspension a bit more. The bike rides very soft even with the front shocks dialed to the max.

Last edited by yumyumchef; 02-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Obviously your weight is out of the spring rate range for the front and rear springs.
The only way to correct that is to replace the springs with ones that match your weight range.
If you have the OEM rear shock, they're not rebuildable.
Your best bet would be to replace it with an aftermarket shock that can be tailored to your weight and riding style.
If you're interested, Kyle Racing has some Ohlins HO204 shocks at a pretty decent price.
Then they can install a spring for your weight range while configuring the shock.
The springs in the forks can be swapped out as well.

To check what might be the spring range, you can check Race Tech's site to get an idea.
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/RC51/2002-06

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm going to save your post and when i have some money next month, I'll check into buying some shock and spring modifications to handle my weight. -Luis Pernia
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 PM

Although I'm no 6'4, I'm a bigger guy for riding sportbikes. Im about 6'1, 245lbs. Why do you want to change your suspension? I have stock suspension on mine and rides like a wet dream. I dont do any track, just pleasure rides on my weekends and commute on it. Unless you re noticing a problem, enjoy it but subsailor knows his ish so do what he says...

Last edited by McWag; 02-24-2012 at 11:01 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I just think my suspension is a little bit mushy. There's nothing wrong with it or anything. I just want the suspension to feel a little tighter. Crisp. Ill probably wait for awhile before i go into taking my suspension apart because thats a pretty big job. That way when i do the suspension i can install or change out worn parts on the rest of the bike while i have everything disassembled.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Talking Big guys ride bike too

Hello yumyumchef, I am 6'4" as well but am 208lbs. As far as height I can crouch down very well, my issue was leg position. Try adjustable rear sets they helped me considerable. I also have a Sargent seat, raised my butt about 3/4 of an in from stock. I am confused on the suspension though, it should be good up to 366lbs, while your at the upper range you certainty are not maxing out for road use. I prefer a fairly hard ride so this might work, if not try starting adjusting just front and back compression.

Try my current set up:
Front preload - 6 turns out from lightly seated full hard.
Front rebound damping - 2.25 turns out
Front comp. damping - 10 clicks out
Rear preload - position 6 of 8
rear rebound damping - 1 turn out
rear comp. damping - 6 clicks out

Set fork tube height to 8mm from top triple clamp. (This is stock setting as well)

For your info stock is:
fork preload- 6 turns clockwise from full soft
fork rebound- 1 turn counterclockwise from full hard
fork compression- 12 clicks counterclockwise from full hard
shock preload- #5
rebound- 1 turn counterclockwise from full hard
compression- 10 clicks counterclockwise from full hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode