RC51 Forums banner

headder wrap

7K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  1971allchaos 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used or thought of using header wrap on there pipes to help keep there bike just a little bit cooler i think im going to do it and see if i can drop a few more degrees.

#2 ·
i can get cheap ceramic coating done too FWIW

I have done both ceram and wrap and even ceram and then wrapped the back header too

it all helps and it depends on your budget

$200 shipped i can have the pipes done and i think wrap is like $60

#3 ·
I have my header wrapped and its fine. Its a must for the back header cause the heat will ruin your shock.

Mark any idea on why the mounting brackets on my Yosh high mount mids for my SP1 wont line up with the holes in my stock rear sets? The mids are definitely for an sp1 but the damn holes wont line up. Guess I could cut em off and reweld them on in the correct spot. Figure I'd ask the exhaust expert. :D

#5 ·
There's a few threads if you search for "header wrap". I was wanting to do mine also. The only negative thing I've heard is that it can "wear" the exhaust out. By trapping the heat against the metal it breaks the metal down faster. I've never found any evidence of this, though. I mean, what's the lifetime of a titanium exhaust anyway? 10 years? So with wrap it might only last 5? I think my black 05' would look sweet with black wrap... just need to know how much to buy...

#6 ·
wrapped my sp1 header with header wrap i bought from local pepboys.to do so i had to remove the header completely, it's imposible to wrap it nice and tight without removing it. i bought those metal zip tie from ebay, DONT USE IT they are crap, i used regular metal clamp(the type that you tighten up with small bolt).one last thing make sure to cover your arms with long sleeve shirt, i got allergic rash from the fiberglass material for 2 days it sucks.good luck :)

#7 ·
There have been reports of headers cracking when wrapped close to the head. Also by wrapping the rear only, which already gets less ventilation you will end up in uneven front/rear running. What was advised in other threads/forums was that you only wrap the section right next to the shock and maybe the right peg.
The cracks appeared close to the head. Look it up by running a search.

#9 ·
I have had experience with header wrap, just not on a RC51. It does seem to cause the pipe to degrade pretty quickly. I used it on a wisconsin air-cooled twin cylinder engine. They make pretty high exhaust temps. Had that engine pulling a roots blower and a highpressure pump. It does trap the heat on the outside surface of the pipe, and another thing that happened to me is that friggin fiberglass was always shedding and getting in everything. Even tho I used the black paint stuff over the wrap (like the directions said) it was still kinda messy.

The new mids for my bike are ceramic coated: I'm sold!

#11 ·
This has been debated before. I can tell you it is not a good idea for several reasons. First it works at reducing radiated heat from the exhaust, but at a cost. The wrap prevents the metal from radiating and shedding heat into the surrounding air. This greatly reduces the lifespan of any metal, be it titanium, stainless or mild steel. Obviously this means replacing the wrapped pipes far sooner than the manufacturer intended, plus the potential cracking issues mentioned before.
Professional race teams have abandoned the use of wrap in favor of ceramic coatings, which are more durable, don't shed, and do not cause premature deterioration of the tubing. Furthermore, NO header manufacturer will honor the warranty if header wrap has been used, and for good reason. See above. I've seen the effects firsthand on my built Ford small block. The headers lasted maybe a year and a half after wrapping. That amounted to about 2500 miles, and included some trackdays and dragstrip runs.

When you factor in the cost of the wrap, ties, and your time, plus the cost of replacing the damaged components, its far more cost effective to send them out and have them ceramic coated.

Thus endeth the sermon.

#12 ·
Ceramic coating inside my mids

I have been reading all I can find concerning ceramic coating my mid pipes. I have my 05 stripped of the exhaust system at this point, and am looking into ceramic coating the inside of the mids. Is this a viable idea, or am I setting myself up for grief? I have found a ceramic coating available @ one of the local parts stores. And I am considering applying it after I etch the inside of the mid pipes to clean them.... How about it guys? Any insight on this method.?

#13 ·
I have been reading all I can find concerning ceramic coating my mid pipes. I have my 05 stripped of the exhaust system at this point, and am looking into ceramic coating the inside of the mids. Is this a viable idea, or am I setting myself up for grief? I have found a ceramic coating available @ one of the local parts stores. And I am considering applying it after I etch the inside of the mid pipes to clean them.... How about it guys? Any insight on this method.?
Have the entire header professionally done or don't do it at all.

Me, well I'm a hardcore gangsta wrapper :)

#14 ·
The corner store stuff probably won't last long or work....SWAINTECH says that its difficult to get it to stick on the inside of the pipe...they usually blast it with some sort of abrasive material first..then the ceramic is spray at the pipe in a molten, very hi temp form, in 3 layers...swain tech's coating they state is .015" where as jethot and other cheaper, "prettier" paint type ceramic coatings can be .002-3...

If you want it done right, its gonna cost....swaintech charges $40/foot....Had mine done several months ago for one bike and used Ti header wrap on the other bike......

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.