RC51 Forums banner

Chain lenght?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 ·
So I'm a proud owner of a 2000 RC51 and I'm getting ready to change my chain and sprockets. I'm currently running stock 16/40 and about to switch to 15/42. I will be using a DID 530VM 114L.
My question is how many links should my chain lenght be?
If this helps I'm running a stock size rear tire 190/50.

#2 ·
My bike has the same swingarm you should have, SP1.
I have 15/42 and 104 links. My 190/55 tire will need more clearance than your 190/50, so 104 links should work great for you.

First pic is 7mm of clearance between my tire and swingarm. A little close, but it's never rubbed, and as the tire wears down clearance improves.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hey there jondog9. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice/info, I installed my chain and sprockets and everything worked out with your suggested 104 links. I just had my bike in yesterday at the dealership for new tires and to get my valves adjusted. The valves were all within spec, apparently my steering head bearings were bad and needed replacing. All I can say is "wow" what a difference it feels like a totally different bike. My next project is a power commander and shorty levers.

#5 ·
I'm curious to know how much clearance you have between tire and swingarm. Like the picture I posted. I measured mine by passing a hex-head allen wrench through the gap.
As I remember, 8mm was the recomended minimum. I'm guessing the tire must swell or change shape a little at different speeds and loads. I constantly check mine for rub marks...
Enjoy that gearing! you can launch pretty quick without even trying that hard assuming you got the 15/42.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.