Who's a boater? Need help looking at getting a first boat - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Who's a boater? Need help looking at getting a first boat

Here's the boat I'm going to look at tomorrow. http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/3772782732.html it's a fixer upper.

I've researched the motor and found out the motor itself, tends to be a good motor. "The hull has a couple soft spots" stated by the owner. Trailer in good shape.

What else should I look for?

I'm going to bring some starting fluid and a few tools to look it over really well. I'm going to try to get it at least to "pop" over.

Thanks,
James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
What's you budget? My brother had a fabuglas and hated it. (Mostly the Johnson motor!)

Procrafts are a good boat to look for too.(Which are built or at one time built by the same people who built the Nitro boats.)

You want a fish and ski style it looks like too.

Just remember the best two days of a boat owners life are the first day they buy the boat and the day they sell it!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Just remember the best two days of a boat owners life are the first day they buy the boat and the day they sell it!
Words to live by...I worked with a couple of boat guys, they told me the acronym for boat.

B break
O out
A another
T thousand

I remember when my ex wife was bitching about the money spent on my motorcycles...I introduced her to the said boat guys and asked them how much they spend a year...she then said she would never bitch about what I spend on bikes again.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post

Mad,
I've heard that one before. But living living 20 minutes from the intercostal water way here in NC, it's kind of hard not to want one. Not the greatest roads around here to ride. The best running "equivalent" for sale right now in this area is going for $4500.

I'm hoping to be able to get this one running and sea worthy for under $500 on top of the purchase price. I'm going to do all the labor myself.

Nobody,
I understand that a boat is a money pit, but isn't our RC's the same? About 5k I've put into the bike in the last 2 years alone. We all know that we can never get back what we put into them, but we do it anyway.

I know what to look for when it comes to an engine, but not a boat. So I'm looking for some insight.

James

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

I apologise James I wasn't tryimg to sway you away from boating...just trying to let you know of the cost. You obviously know what you're getting into.

As for what to look for in a boat I just don't have the knowledge. I do know boat guys but I don't work with them anymore. I can try to hunt them down and ask them if I can track either one of them down.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I apologise James I wasn't tryimg to sway you away from boating...just trying to let you know of the cost. You obviously know what you're getting into.
Not a problem man, I figured as much.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM

I've been through a few boats. Imo, it doesn't look to bad for a low budget rig, yet you gotta consider the money-pit factor. I would definitely look for good compression in all cylinders. Other than that, just consider this: saltwater is a bitch, and she looks to have some age on her.
Just to give you an idea on rough equivalent value, I bought a 14' Mckee with a 48spl Johnson of what looked to be about the same age(late 80's) for 1500 about 7 years ago in VA. It was a decent deal, but the exhaust manifold/riser corroded 2 years later making the power head useless.
Over time, saltwater will always win. I always tell my buddies, "ya gotta pay to play." It could prove to be a worth-while cheap rig for the summer...with a few $$$.

My closing thought: Drive inland and get an old lake boat. It'll be worth it in the long run.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Just poking fun, but had to include the classic saying, listed below:

"The happiest day of a boat owner's life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it."

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've owned a couple of boats, a Cobalt 190 and a Cobalt 200. That one you're looking at certainly looks like a fixer upper. You get what you pay for but I wouldn't want to be out on that boat. I'd certainly be staying on inland waters with it.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I'm going to go over it from bow to stern and do a compression check on it as long as the seller allows, if not I'm walking.

If I get it, and once it's running, its going to be fully tested in the shallows no further off shore than I'm willing to swim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode