One close call. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One close call.

This guy had to of crapped his pants.

That was a very close call.http://screen.yahoo.com/luckiest-biker-163552787.html

No Novels!

Fricken GOLD battery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Hell I had something close to that happen to me this morning.
Some old lady just turned left across three lanes of traffic to enter a strip mall.
If I had been going just a bit faster, I would have T-boned her in the rear passenger side.
The reason I wasn't going any faster was I knew not to trust my fellow "drivers".
This happens all the time down here "God's waiting room".
It happens so often, you get to the point where it doesn't even affect you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's crazy to get numb to that.
Quoted from my Mother " You be careful Mr."
I keep a list of areas to avoid in my head and I'm always adding new places to that list..
I'm not much of a city rider myself, I tend to get the heck out of dodge and head out into the boons.

No Novels!

Fricken GOLD battery!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I was driving down the main drag of Tampa (4+ lanes in each direction) and a lady runs a red light and comes skidding into the intersection immediately ahead of me. I am on my VFR and immediately throw it into what was intended to be a "low-side dive to the left, the rear tire catches and attempts to high-side me, but I was able to save it by straightening it out enough to survive. I slid past the front of her car and missed it by about 4 inches and the bike never touched any plastic to the pavement. The only damage was a lost garage door opener that was flung off during the near high-side. I learned new respect for Dunlop D207's on that day.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
It has happened to me twice so far......

http://screen.yahoo.com/luckiest-biker-163552787.html

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
The silver car made a left turn from the wrong lane of travel and failed to yield to oncoming traffic, nearly cancelling that biker's Christmas. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Always assume slow cars (Or those stopped) at a junction are about to do something dangerous and be prepared...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I've always treated any car waiting at a junction, etc. as a potential danger and go through slow enough to do something evasive if I need to.
If a car is going unusually slow, that's an especially likely hazzard. He may be about to stop, U turn, open his door, etc. He's probably going slow for a reason, so never assume it's safe (Although maybe not so relevant to this video).

I think braking hard a lot & flicking the bike into corners fast is good practice for when we really need to do it, for example. Panic is something that should be avoided at all costs when on the road, especially on 2 wheels.

That biker could have looked further ahead and reacted before reaching the junction...

Then again (Just watched the film once more) the silver car wasn't in the correct lane for crossing and made his turn suddenly, so was difficult to predict, but all the more reason to never assume it's safe to go through a junction without caution. No point blaming the other bad driver after a crash event. Better to be prepared to avoid.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-21-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Watched the film again...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We have a couple threads about this....now they are one.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
...That biker could have looked further ahead and reacted before reaching the junction...
It did not appear that he attempted to stop or avoid the car's path. He may have not even seen it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode