Gone fishing... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gone fishing...

Well I'm outta here for a few...the woman wants to learn to catch the legendary Kamloops rainbow trout. Pound for pound the best fight you will have on any fishing line.

It's been years since I broke out the fly rod...got the deluxe cabin 4 days in the water, I day watching my son play some footrball (he lives close to where we will be staying), then when I get back home off for a couple days on the bike for a small road trip.

Back in a bit...woohoo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM

Nice! I try to fish everyday, great times! Have fun!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Roaring toyz lowering kit
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Love trout fishing myself. Grew up fishing streams and rivers in Montana and Utah. Sure do miss it...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
If you haven't caught a stingray ... they seem to be able to suck themselves to the bottom. 20 years ago we rented a houseboat for a week in the Keys, and a girl on board fought a stingray for hours one stormy night. Like some crazy novel. I dunno why she was so intent on fighting that thing. She could almost never reel any line in, and it seemed to only maybe be moving one way or the other ever so slightly; so slowly that we weren't sure if it was moving, or maybe it was just the boat turning very slowly. There was never any extra yank or jerk on the line like with a normal fish; just a constant, incredibly strong pull. Most of us thought the hook was caught on the bottom and went inside to get out of the storm. She was obviously convinced it was a creature. We'd check on her every once in a while, and it seemed like maybe she was reeling something in, but I dunno; I thought maybe she was overcoming the anchor(!) and slowly pulling the boat toward where the hook was caught on something. But ... after about a 3-hour fight, she started screaming ... She finally had it very close to the boat and had seen a glimpse of a shadow of whatever it was (which we didn't know at the time). We had a flashlight, and she finally actually brought the thing all the way up to the boat, just enough for us to see this ray with a wing span of about 6 feet! I would've assumed it was tired as hell, and it probably was, but right at the moment when the flashlight hit his eyes, he made a little twitch and a splash and snapped the line and swam away ...

We called her The Old Hag And The Sea after that! ... even though she was only about 20.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Love trout fishing myself. Grew up fishing streams and rivers in Montana and Utah. Sure do miss it...
Yea, same here, grew up in Pennsylvania fishing mostly trout, occasional trip to upstate new york for salmon, now being in the Midwest, largemouth is the bees knees. Mostly ponds in neighborhoods or farms, most fun you'll ever have! Most I've caught consecutively is 19! Cast after cast...

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
When I was a young teenager, I used to fish for rainbow trout in the UK. Was fun!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
You must post pictures of the booty er bounty

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM

7 lb 8 oz monster, in a small neighborhood pond

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378049594755.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	26609  

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Used to work for a company where the owner was an avid sports fisherman.
Each year, he would rent four boats in Boca Grande along with several rooms at a nearby motel.

Then he would divide the company into 3rds and send each third down to fish for a couple of days during tarpon season.

Tarpon are not little fish, and we used 85 lb. test braided line.
I remember when I caught my first tarpon. It felt like I hooked a greyhound bus.
Felt like my arms were going to get pulled out of socket.

Since we weren't allowed to keep the fish, we could only reel them close enough for an estimate of size.
There is a rule of thumb they use to estimate weight, and they calculated my fish weighted about 145 lbs.

Unfortunately, the following years had so many sharks in the area (hammerhead and bull sharks), that any fish caught were ate almost instantly (amazing how fast a shark will consume a 140+ lb. fish).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Used to work for a company where the owner was an avid sports fisherman.
Each year, he would rent four boats in Boca Grande along with several rooms at a nearby motel.

Then he would divide the company into 3rds and send each third down to fish for a couple of days during tarpon season.

Tarpon are not little fish, and we used 85 lb. test braided line.
I remember when I caught my first tarpon. It felt like I hooked a greyhound bus.
Felt like my arms were going to get pulled out of socket.

Since we weren't allowed to keep the fish, we could only reel them close enough for an estimate of size.
There is a rule of thumb they use to estimate weight, and they calculated my fish weighted about 145 lbs.

Unfortunately, the following years had so many sharks in the area (hammerhead and bull sharks), that any fish caught were ate almost instantly (amazing how fast a shark will consume a 140+ lb. fish).
Thats awesome, I have done a little bit of saltwater fishing, not too much, but really a ton of fun. Everything is just bigger and fights twice as hard as freshwater! Recently on a trip to Gulf Shores, Al we had a place right on a lagoon, with a private dock, so I fished every morning, caught mostly catfish and croakers, caught one stingray, about the size of a big dinner plate, felt like an absolute monster. Unreal how hard that thing fought. Good times!
Here's a pic of my buddy just the other day with a 4.5 pounder of of a neighborhood pond

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378261172609.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	27026  

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode