Got me an old Goldwing - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Red face Got me an old Goldwing

Hey guys, I been checking out the older Goldwings, found this one for $500.
It's a 1978 GL1000.
I think it's pretty clean, I heard it run for just a minute, but it has old gas in it so it hasn't run anymore since.

I'm going to get fresh gas in it, change plugs, do a compression test, see if I can free the frozen clutch cable, etc. Then I'll try to fire it up again, maybe take it for a little ride. If it seems worthy enough, then I'll probably take it all apart, clean/restore, paint, and see what suspension improvements can be made. Rebuild the brake master, new tires, a couple more bits and hopefully I can have it looking and running good for a small budget.
It also came with Vetter full front fairing, side cases, and the trunk case.

Any and all comments, advice, ideas, suggestions are appreciated! I know next to nothing about this bike.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Nice - I guess you got it fairly cheap!
I rode a CBX1000 (The 6 cylinder one) a long time ago during a VFR club visit to Germany where I switched bikes with a German owner there. A bike from around the same era. Suspension was soft and wallowy at the mere sniff of a corner and the brake woefully inadequate. So I think these things may be the first that will need attention once you have it up & running. Tires too of course.

Old fuel inside the tank is better than none!
If available, get carb gaskets / o'rings and fuel tap seals too. Take the fuel system apart and clean everything. Acetone gets rid of the varnish. I used cotton buds. The best way would be to clean with ultrasound, but you'd have to find someone with such. A carb piece clamped to something sturdy and a steam cleaner does the job - as does a jet wash...

For now, rebuild the brakes and fit braided lines if you want better feel. Brass brushes on the end of a dremmel are great for cleaning out the recesses for piston seals.

Looks like it'll be good to give it a paint job. If you get that far, then you'll probably be looking at replacing the front end with something more modern, new brakes and more.

BTW, once I do my RC51 front end conversion I'll be selling a set of reworked VFR750 forks (perhaps too short?), triples, Harris 6 pot calipers with a CBR1000 master cylinder + front wheel, discs, etc. Old technology, but it still works well. These calipers were able to lock the front wheel at 50 mph given a hard enough tug (I saved those moments), so they're still good. If they're of interest (no rush - I'm not doing this work for a while yet) I can take some measurements.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice score, jondog, that thing looks really clean. How many miles? You might have said in your post already. My dad went cross country on one of them beasts when he was 18! Heavy bike but decent power he said, obviously not as heavy as the new ones! His was naked too. I think they look kinda cool and retro. Great deal though man!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Roaring toyz lowering kit
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Just make sure you don't panic if something just "stops working"....keep close to the kill switch.

Nice find

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Not sure, but at the front it looks as if it may have a timing belt... I'd change that too if so.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice score...bullet proof motor but change those timing belts asap. .

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Nice cruiser, I just have high hopes, that this is NOT signs of you slowing down, or showing signs of getting OLD, J-Dog

After I sold the 2005 F-Boy(tractor) My intentions were to purchase a Goldwing...
My wife protested, stating "she would never ride with me on a Bagger"...
an tempted me with finding a CBR1000xx for a touring/travel bike..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CG GG Stella.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	34786  
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Should make for a fun project, congrats. I got a chuckle out of the "preserve nature" line on that plaque...LOL

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Well, this is going to be a project. Discovered the gas tank is completely toast. Rust. If you knocked on it, flakes would start falling into the gas. Which now alarms me for the carbs. Worried they may need going through.
Also, one cylinder, the #4, has 25#'s less compression than the other three.
Cylinders #1, #2, #3 all test at 155psi. (On a totally cold engine - ambient temperature about 70F degrees). Cylinder #4 came in at 130.
I'm thinking leaky rings, or burnt valve, or slight possibility of a bent valve. Because of the timing belt. I haven't removed the timing cover yet to inspect the belt, but that's next on the list. Along with a valve clearance test.
What I did do is pour a little oil in the #4 cylinder then retest for compression. To discover a possible leaky ring. The compression test showed much higher, now it jumped up to about 185 psi. Confirming leaky piston rings, right?

Not sure how much more I want to put into this bike.
If my valve clearances check out to be somewhat consistent, then I'll assume the valves aren't bent, but still could have a burnt spot, contributing to my low compression. I suppose she'd run ok, but might be a bit sluggish and smokey.
Besides the compression issue and the rusted out gas tank, it needs a proper front brake master cylinder, new clutch cable, plugs, fluids, filters, tires, and a bunch of tlc.

Thinking about letting this go and sell as a parts bike?
What do you guys think?
How much farther would you go into this bike?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Seems you found Pandora's Goldwing

You should be able to part this out and get your dinero back....kinda sucks as this would be a solid ride to kick around on.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode