What I Did On Vacation. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
What I Did On Vacation.

Visited the South Island, NZ for 18 days late Sept thru early Oct, landing in Christchurch, but the freezing rain was blowing sideways that day so we headed NW up the hills to our hosts' house in the small town of Oxford, sorta in the eastern-middle part of the island; then N to Hanmer Hot Springs; then drove W thru Arthur's Pass to Greymouth on the west coast; North from there to the Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki; On to Cape Foulwind / Tauranga Bay seal colony; On to the old Denniston coal mine; Then back south to the Franz Josef glacier; Back east to Oxford via the KiwiRail scenic train ride; Then down into and around Christchurch ... saw the mass destruction from their 2011 earthquake Rode the gondola overlooking, well, everything, then down and around Lyttelton, their major sea port.

Typical very large tree outside Hanmer Hot Springs water park. They're trying to lock hands all the way around it ... there are 2 kids on the other side of the tree, too!

Typical South Island NZ views:

Castle Hill on the way to Arthur's Pass ... sorry, Castle Hill is behind me in this pic. This is looking from Castle Hill back toward the parking area:

OK here's Castle Hill ... a bunch of huge, smooth rocks you can climb all over. Must be 100' from the high point to the low:

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-15-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Our hosts' mini van that hauled us all around, parked here at the Bealey hotel on the way to Arthur's Pass:

Another typical NZ view ... well, OK, if you've got your eye laying right on the railroad track!

Beach on the West Coast, ~10 miles N of Greymouth between Ninemile and Barrytown ... We're observing all the marine life in the thousands & thousands of little ponds on the rocks. Some crazy looking creatures in there:

A look up the beach the other direction (N) ... water is very cold!

The seal colony at Cape Foulwind ... sorry I'm not showing any actual seals, but they blend in so well with the rocks you can barely see them, and so they ocean and landscape end up making better pics:

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-15-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

More of the seal colony at Cape Foulwind:

Path to the seal colony over-look deck ... OK, I gotta have a decent pic of a seal in my pics!

The old Denniston coal mine. A lot of guys died at these coal mines over the decades. A lot of guys. And they have all the figures on it posted in various spots around the place. Not a great place to work:

Scary looking deck-to-nowhere over-looking the old coal car tracks that hauled the coal from the mine on the mountain down to the coast:

Walking cows across the road. Note the official 'cow' warning sign on the truck at right!

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-14-2014 at 01:18 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

The Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki ... got a few shots, then my camera battery died :( I learned the hard way not to trust it to last more than 1 day:

Footpath to the Franz Josef glacier ... that's it, the little white block of ice in the center of the pic sorta "pouring" thru the valley there just over the trees ... hard to see in this pic:

Waterfall on the way to the glacier:

... closer yet to the glacier ... but this seems to be the best pic I got of it :

Looking downstream at the glacier's river bed. Was dreary and light rain in this area this day, but it kinda seemed to go with the whole idea of a glacier:

Here's a little, 'mini glacier' I guess, just off the designated trail. They have a designated trail with warning signs because visitors keep going under the ropes off the path and getting killed by falling ice and rocks. They've gone as far as to make permanent signs out of newspaper articles detailing some of these deaths, with pics:

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-14-2014 at 03:06 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Good to see you had a fun trip.

We stayed at the Japanese Resort in Hanmer Hot Springs on our first day, I think - about 3-4 hour's drive from Christchurch.

Franz Josef must've been quite a sight to see. Did you climb up the mountain path to get a good view?

The sea is very cold and often has very strong currents too... dangerous to swim in - most places!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

The pancake rocks were cool to see for us, I especially liked the pancake basins... Couldn't help thinking it would be a very cool place to build a restaurant (With glass walls) inside.
Not enough population to make it a worthwhile project though (Which is probably a good thing!).

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

The scenic train ride between Greymouth and Christchurch stops at Arthur's Pass, which has a 5.3-mile long train tunnel at nearby Otira, and when the train came out of the tunnel, it was snowing. It's a good mid-point place to stop the train and let people get out for a few minutes to look around ... and take pics of falling snow:

Typical views out the train windows ... the snow at Arthur's Pass was gone pretty quickly once the train pulled away:

The train's caboose is open-air, so no windows to block your view ... but also no windows to block the cold air! And MAN was that wind cold! Nothing a neck gaiter, gloves and ski cap couldn't fix, though:

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-14-2014 at 12:35 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

Franz Josef must've been quite a sight to see. Did you climb up the mountain path to get a good view?
Miguel ... They don't let you get anywhere near the glacier anymore, not without a guide anyway, I guess. The designated, roped off path now stops well back from the glacier itself. You can see its ominous-ness, but can't touch it. Or get crushed by pieces falling off it Our friends did tell us that they had been able to get much closer the last time they were there, some years ago (5 I think).

Quote:
The sea is very cold and often has very strong currents too... dangerous to swim in - most places!
Yeah! Not the place to go for a casual swim! Very cold water; rip currents; rocks; sharks ...

Quote:
The pancake rocks were cool to see for us, I especially liked the pancake basins...
I kept thinking that if somebody fell into those basins, they'd be a goner! With all the large waves and rocks, I don't know somebody would survive.

Quote:
Couldn't help thinking it would be a very cool place to build a restaurant (With glass walls) inside.
Not enough population to make it a worthwhile project though (Which is probably a good thing!).
Yeah, neat idea. And it seems some do try to make a go of commercial places, but that seems like a recipe for financial ruin to me ... since like you said, prob not enough visitors ... which you're right is def a good thing.

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-14-2014 at 03:09 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

More train pics:

Walking between two of the train's cars:

The train dropped us off at the Springfield train station, since we were staying in Oxford, about 40 mins NW of Christchurch (where the train ends):

Another landscape pic, this one from the Springfield train station:

Christchurch gondola:

Christchurch from the gondola:

Lyttelton Harbour from the gondola:

Last edited by extrapolator; 10-14-2014 at 03:11 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

I think Arthur's pass is classed as one of the 10 most scenic driving routes in the world.

We gave it a miss on our trip there, because of bad weather - perhaps next time we'll experience it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode