Mother effin' ticket in Georgia - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Mother effin' ticket in Georgia

How can this be legal?????

I got a ticket on I95 a couple months ago. Officer was a county deputy. First, I didn't even know county cops were allowed to patrol interstates

Nevertheless, the ticket price was surprisingly reasonable, $180 I think. So I paid it. 88 in a 70, by the way.

SOOOO ... by paying it, I admitted guilt. And that combined with the fact that I was going over 85 triggered the state of Georgia to send me a SECOND ticket, as a "Super Speeder" Mother fvckers.

So, here's the thing: Had I known the REAL penalty would total $380 instead of just $180, I would probably have hired a traffic citation atty and got the thing reduced rather than just paying it. So I was not informed of the COMPLETE penalty up front or at any time prior to admitting guilt and paying the ticket.

Also ... I'm kinda wondering: "If they can lay this SECOND layer penalty on me, and I pay IT, what's to stop a THIRD???"

BTW, I googled this and found that Georgia is doing this JUST to generate money to pay for a 'trauma center'. And it's generated $120 million in its first 4 years.

God dammit no wonder people are pissed at our 'leaders' these days.

Last edited by extrapolator; 06-07-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Georgia, ain't she a peach?

In Indiana, a police officer can patrol any street in their jurisdiction. They especially like the interstates when they need to hit their quotas. (You know, the ones that don't exist)

Welcome to the club there "Super Speeder"

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, hate to say anything after the fact but I learned the same way many years ago on several trips out of state, when I lived in NJ. After my second real road trip to the Tail of the Dragons and a few traffic citations, I started to research different State's traffic laws and talking to guys on forums from those states. I though NJ was bad, I never complained after riding through WV and AL.

I've not heard of the second delayed citation before but I imagine there was something printed on the original citation. With governments it's all about putting the liability on the citizen. I know this because I work for a large city.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sooooooo, what if you are from another country, get a ticket in the US and never return until 3 yrs later?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penn542 View Post
Sooooooo, what if you are from another country, get a ticket in the US and never return until 3 yrs later?
If you come back and get caught, there will be a warrant waiting on you...your drivers license at that point will be no good and they will take you straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post

Also ... I'm kinda wondering: "If they can lay this SECOND layer penalty on me, and I pay IT, what's to stop a THIRD???"
Nothing, but you get the cool distinction of being a Super Duper Speeder
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Georgia, ain't she a peach?

In Indiana, a police officer can patrol any street in their jurisdiction. They especially like the interstates when they need to hit their quotas. (You know, the ones that don't exist)

Welcome to the club there "Super Speeder"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Nothing, but you get the cool distinction of being a Super Duper Speeder
Right ... and sadly I didn't even get my money's worth: I was in a damn rental car
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
It's sadly just legalised robbery in the US whenever they can get away with it... Land of the free or land of Plutocracy?

Some 20 years ago I got several speeding tickets in the US & Canada on my UK (International) licence. I never paid them and nothing happened. Maybe now they're more savy, but if I go there again I'll use my Japanese Intl. Licence.

I always drive where I can with a foreign (Intl) licence. Often I've gotten away with a warning when they can't add penalty points, but I usually act humble & scared of them, which usually disarms them a bit.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm originally from GA and I don't enjoy driving back through it just because of how much Traffic Enforcement has increased over the past 5yrs. I know where I can speed (usually through Atlanta and it's surrounding counties) but I try not to go to far above the posted speed limit as the state patrol errr revenue enforcement officers are just waiting to fulfill their quotas.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those coming from across the pond or farther away, beware of smaller towns. There are still those smaller departments and judicial systems that will require court attendance immediately as well as payment of any incurred fines prior to leaving their jurisdiction. I bring this up because 2 years ago a good friend who has lived in Italy for the last 10 years visited and was stopped in a podunk town in CO. He was held until the next court session and informed payment for the traffic violation would need to be settled prior to release.
It's safe to say I will be visiting Italy next time as he's not coming back. Showing a foreign driver's license here in AZ usually causes LE to more extensively run a person through federal databases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode