Friendly Advice for Buying Motorcycle Parts - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Friendly Advice for Buying Motorcycle Parts

Guys I'm just gonna throw this out there...

1. If you go to EBAY as your first line of buying prowess looking for NEW retail items then you are not the smartest guy in the world to begin with. I know that sounds harsh, but come on... Retailers of premium products use ebay for marketing and exposure they don't rely on it for actual sales revenue. Yes a lot of sales are made through ebay and other platforms like Amazon, but that is mainly because people are just too lazy to put in a tiny bit of extra effort to research a better deal.

2. Don't get mad at the seller when they reject your ridiculously lowball offers on brand new retail products. Between Ebay & PayPal a retailer is spending right at 15% of the sold price JUST TO LIST A PRODUCT ON EBAY. If you take into consideration that most profit margins for dealers is around 20% that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for price discounts even if the product is listed at regular MSRP. Additionally when you really drop that really lowball price it basically tells us you are not serious about buying the product or you would have put in a more reasonable offer so we really shouldn't waste our time trying to negotiate with you for a mutually beneficial price arrangement

3. Most retailers put the name of their shop in the Ebay ad. A simple google search will in many cases lead you to their online store that will offer the exact same product cheaper or AT THE VERY LEAST allow you to contact the business directly and ask for a better deal which they can afford to give when they don't have to pay the exorbitant fees for selling on ebay.

4. If you ARE going to make a stupidass lowball offer on Ebay... Don't do it on a Friday night when the business is closed for the weekend or the staff is at the race track etc. The offer is only good for a short amount of time and if there is nobody available to review it you are just wasting everybody's time especially your own!

You would think that all of this would be commonsense to anyone that has ever had to spend their own money on any retail product, but I guess it is just not that common anymore...
jondog9, budoka, Motleyfan and 2 others like this.

Last edited by LDH®; 02-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
it absolutely blows my mind how many people think that the best place to buy quality bike parts is on fucking AMAZON.

both amazon and ebay are cesspools of absolute garbage that you have to sift through in hopes of finding something worthwhile, and if you do, you either have to bid on it and inevitably lose, or buy it now for MSRP.

if i need parts i send an email. either to you, mike, or one of my other suppliers. why wouldn't you?
jondog9 and Motleyfan like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I usually Google what I'm looking for and price shop that way , I also often find suppliers I never knew existed that way. I do sometimes get stuff from Ebay , but almost never bid on auctions.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer Parstzilla or Bike Bandit. They seem to have what I am looking for on any of my metric bikes at a decent price with on time delivery. The Buells on the other-hand, require a little more finesse since very few parts (except the HD parts) are available from your average parts retailer. NOS, is what I prefer, and I have to scour the universe to find them. I typically avoid "Stealerships", since they very rarely have what I need in stock. Say what you want about feeBay and Amazon, the bottom line on any purchase is simple, "Caveat emptor".

I am curious LDH, what motivated you to start this thread?

Ride safe all!

I was once told to "lead, follow, or get out of the way," I have been trying get out of the way ever since...

KC_ZOMBIE
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Guess I'm pretty lucky. My local dealer (Honda,Yamaha & KTM) has a pretty good stock and prices are usually competitive with online. Orders on Tuesday usually filled by Thursday. Having worked in the MC retail business for almost 40 years I have a little insight into their problems. They don't stock huge inventories anymore because ordering is usually very quick. Don't want to tie up alot of $$$ for stuff just sitting on a shelf. The overhead for a franchised dealer can be pretty substantial. That being said, it's pretty ridiculous to not have plugs, filters, drain plug washers and so on but you gotta have inventory control and good people working for you. Ebay and Amazon are mixed blessings. You need some smarts to shop there. Common sense will tell you those brake rotors that look like Galfers for $180 are probably ticking time bombs. On the other hand if you do a little comparison shopping there are some good deals to be had, But as Mike and Will noted most of it is junk. Almost all my major after market parts on the RC came from KyleRacing ( shameless plug, I know). Mike and Dan have worked with me on price and I think everybody is satisfied. Thats a 20+ year relationship. Anyway I'm rambling now so time to shut up. Goes without saying, when you log on to the net, make sure brain is engaged. Happy Trails
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
i don't think that mike was meaning this post to be about oem parts.
budoka and Joe XR like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
^^^^ Yep, sidetracked myself thinking about the stealerships comment.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_ZOMBIE View Post

I am curious LDH, what motivated you to start this thread?
A culmination of daily experiences has given me this pet peeve, but what really put me over the top was some East coaster cussing me out after I refused his lowball offers telling me that the whole reason ebay exists is for "good deals" and low prices. Basically he told me I was an idiot (among other things) for now knowing how ebay works. He was furious that the best I would offer was more than he could get the same part for online from another dealer. When I tried to explain to him that Ebay and PayPal take an additional 15% he told I SHOULD FACTOR THAT INTO THE PRICE. I was absolutely floored at how stupid he was. Then again look at how dumb the average person you meet is then realize that 50% of the population is dumber than that...
budoka, Joe XR, KC_ZOMBIE and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Totally understand. I quit selling on eBay last year after 15 years for the very same reason plus a few others. For instance, there are little to no protections for sellers, even if you specify "no returns" the buyer can still initiate a return and eBay will take the money (or tie it up) from your PP account and force you to take the item back. Now the buyer can literately have his/her cake and eat too. F**k that!

However, I still buy (reluctantly) items from time to time there, some of the older OEM parts needed for my projects force me to leave that avenue open.

Nice rant, BTW. I like your style...

I was once told to "lead, follow, or get out of the way," I have been trying get out of the way ever since...

KC_ZOMBIE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I didn't have any idea that ebay charged the seller 15 fucking percent!

My thoughts are, never try to buy new stuff on ebay for the same reasons that are explained in LDH's initial post.

But the other side of that coin is this: you can find some fantastic deals on used parts. I couldn't be happier with some of the scores; such as a $40 SP2 oil cooler- which had all the bracketry and hoses included to make a complete swap, a $400 Ohlins shock - which I sent in to KyleUSA (thanks Mike!) for updating and respringing.

I realize this thread is about New items at a retail level. Just sayn, there is a good purpose for Ebay - used parts.

I will not comment on the other aforementioned organization.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode