Power Commander Questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Power Commander Questions

I found a power commander PC IIIR for my 2003 for 100.00 bucks. They guy is selling it because he just got the USB model. Am I going to be ok with this model? Whats the difference between models? I couldnt find the info online

thanks in advance

oh yeah... any ideas where to find a map for my combo?
stock exhaust
pair mod
flapper mod
soft rev mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 speedster View Post
I found a power commander PC IIIR for my 2003 for 100.00 bucks. They guy is selling it because he just got the USB model. Am I going to be ok with this model? Whats the difference between models? I couldnt find the info online

thanks in advance

oh yeah... any ideas where to find a map for my combo?
stock exhaust
pair mod
flapper mod
soft rev mod
The IIIr is good alot of people are still running them. Really the only difference between the two is the 3r uses a serial cable and the 3usb uses a usb cable which makes it alot easier to use via your computer. Also you can tune in finer increments with the 3usb. You'll need a serial to usb cable to get yours to work unless the laptop you plan on using has a serial port. Also you cant use usb tunes on your 3r but you can use 3r tunes on the usb.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
The 3r also has the ability to tune the Ign were the 3USBs need a separate module to do this. My understanding is that the software is a little different so the 3USB can adjust the fuel pump.

I have the 2 and it is also serial. I bought a USB to Serial (Giga ware product). It will send the info but will not verify the load. I broke out my old laptop and stripped it down just to use for the Power Commander.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
The 3r also has the ability to tune the Ign were the 3USBs need a separate module to do this. My understanding is that the software is a little different so the 3USB can adjust the fuel pump.

I have the 2 and it is also serial. I bought a USB to Serial (Giga ware product). It will send the info but will not verify the load. I broke out my old laptop and stripped it down just to use for the Power Commander.
The ignition feature of the 3r doesn't work with our bikes. If it did then that feature would be available in the 3usb. Also there is no ignition module available for the 51 that you can use in conjunction with the 3usb. Sorry The only options available to the 51 is the LCD unit and the Quickshifter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i dont have a laptop... only a desktop. my buddy does have one though.

so what do i need to make it work? OR should I just man up and get a brand new usb?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Two options

1. The pc should come with a little 2wire harness that you can plug one of those little square batteries into that allows you to power on the pc and take it out of the bike to download the map. It was a feature for people in your exact situation. Whether or not you have that little 2wire harness is the question. I lost mine about 10 minutes after I pulled it out of the box.

2. Get a laptop and a serial to usb cable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
Two options

1. The pc should come with a little 2wire harness that you can plug one of those little square batteries into that allows you to power on the pc and take it out of the bike to download the map. It was a feature for people in your exact situation. Whether or not you have that little 2wire harness is the question. I lost mine about 10 minutes after I pulled it out of the box.

2. Get a laptop and a serial to usb cable.
+1
I have the little cable if someone needs to BORROW it.
I'd like it back who ever needs it.
If anyone needs it I'll send it, but you need to ship it back to me!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 PM

PCIIIr question

I just found one on ebay. The photo of the manual that comes with it says 2002-2003 models. Will this work with OK with my 2004??? Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Yes you will be fine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 AM

One other Question regarding PC's. Does it matter what type of PC I buy (brand-wise)? Do I have to specify when purchasing it that it needs to be for an SP1? Basically I need to purchase a reputable brand name PCIIIUSB and want to make sure I go with the right brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode