RC51 Forums banner

SP-2 forks

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pete McCrary 
#1 ·
I just picked up an entire SP-2 front end to install on my 6th gen VFR800. The forks have been worked over once by a guy named Thermosman using progressive springs.

What's the recommended setup to get the forks where I want them? I've done plenty of conventional forks but have never done inverted forks. I practically have an entire shop in my basement plus I was a dealer years ago - therefore I'm not shy about spinning wrenches.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations/advice is more than appreciated.

#3 ·
Actually both. I have no idea how many miles the forks have on them or how rough they have been treated. Figured it would be a good time to go through them and replace any worn parts, seals, etc. before installing them.

I have no idea what Thermosman did to them. I know they were set up for racing whereas my riding is aggressive mountain riding and possibly one track day a year.

#5 ·
Thanks NJ! Did Thermosman set up your forks with progressive springs? The seller told me these forks do have progressives in them. I thought that was a little odd.

I figured I would get in touch with Thermosman and send the forks back to him so he can adjust them for my weight, bike weight, and riding style.

BTW, what is the listed wet weight for an RC-51? The VFR goes at 535#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.