Painting wheels - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Painting wheels

What's the preference/ins & outs of painting wheels? Powder coating, a really good urethane paint job with clear coat, etc.

If I decide to go the powder coat route, who does quality work? I'd rather pay a little extra and get job that looks good and will last. I've had some stuff powder coated in the past and it looked like crap (but it was cheap!).

All opinions, input, myths, facts, etc welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Powder coating is good but it is prone to chipping. I'm talking about tire changes which are hard on the edges of the wheel no matter what method you use.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_JD View Post
Powder coating is good but it is prone to chipping. I'm talking about tire changes which are hard on the edges of the wheel no matter what method you use.
I've heard the same thing. That's why my body shop man is trying to steer me in the direction of a really good urethane paint job with a good urethane primer underneath and then clear coat on top of the color.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 AM

hi there, new to forum. I am a powder coater and sprayer. I have powdercoated and wet painted wheels for lots of bikes including my own.

I would always say have them powdercoated unless you are wanting a specific colour match to go with a paintjob on your bike.

My SP1 (which at the moment I am painting in rothmans colours) I will powdercoat the wheels white.

Powdercoat should always stick to the surface metal if correctly prepared. It is either acid etch primed or chemical washed/coated in a phosphate machine. Powder coat is much harder than 2k and 1k paints

My r1 however I used basecoat and clear on the wheels as the bodywork had a custom blue and candy red colours so getting a powder to match would have been.......tricky!

If you choose powdercoat, you will also have to replace the bearings as 180-200 degrees is not good for them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 02r1jas

Right now it looks like I'm going to go with a really good urethane paint job. I helped out one of riding buddies when he was laid up for several months after having a flat front tire and center punching a utility pole. Screwed up his back big time.

He runs the body shop at a Chevrolet dealership so he knows his stuff.

If you were doing a urethane paint job, would you recommend striping the wheels first? What method or chemicals or whatever would you use?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02r1jas View Post
hi there, new to forum. I am a powder coater and sprayer. I have powdercoated and wet painted wheels for lots of bikes including my own.

I would always say have them powdercoated unless you are wanting a specific colour match to go with a paintjob on your bike.

My SP1 (which at the moment I am painting in rothmans colours) I will powdercoat the wheels white.

Powdercoat should always stick to the surface metal if correctly prepared. It is either acid etch primed or chemical washed/coated in a phosphate machine. Powder coat is much harder than 2k and 1k paints

My r1 however I used basecoat and clear on the wheels as the bodywork had a custom blue and candy red colours so getting a powder to match would have been.......tricky!

If you choose powdercoat, you will also have to replace the bearings as 180-200 degrees is not good for them.
First off you can easily remove & re-install the bearings and second I dont know what powder you use that cures only at 180-200. 375-400 is the norm. You can go down to 300 sometimes but you have to bake it for a long time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Loc540 View Post
First off you can easily remove & re-install the bearings and second I dont know what powder you use that cures only at 180-200. 375-400 is the norm. You can go down to 300 sometimes but you have to bake it for a long time.
I am uk, thats 180-200 degrees centigrade, forgot you guys use farenheit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02r1jas View Post
I am uk, thats 180-200 degrees centigrade, forgot you guys use farenheit
Oh ok I was wondering that. lol. Heres a good buddy of mine that owns his own custom ceramic/powder coating business in Fredericksburg, VA. He coated everything on my custom CRF250 street legal stunt supermotard. Yes the gas tank is powdercoated (not a drip of paint) I watched him do the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode