Charging problems - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Charging problems after undertail install

'00 RC was running fine 'til I got a hair up my butt and decided to install a Hotbodies Undertail. Install went fine with the help of a SubSailor's guide. I took it out for a test ride, about 45min later it puttered out and died. Called a buddy for a jump and we made it a half mile down the road before it happened again. Luckily it wasn't far from home and I was able to coast an impressive distance then push it a couple blocks to my garage.

The battery is 3 years old, that could be one issue. But what are some other things that I should be looking for? I need to pick up a new battery for my multi meter tomorrow to test the battery. I have very limited mechanical knowledge. After 10 years on the bike I figure wth, might as well learn sometime. Hopefully I didn't jack something up. I'd actually be relieved it all I need is a new battery.

Last edited by MNbeardie; 03-31-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added model year
MNbeardie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Member
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would be checking and double checking all the connections around the ECU and your Power Commander if you have one...
garysol1 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ECU connections appear to be in perfect condition. Power Commander should be arriving later this week.

There were 3 wires going into each of the OEM brake lights. Green, Brown, Green/yellow tracer. The green wire wasn't mentioned in the Hotbodies directions and the lights work normal without it.

What is the purpose of this wire? If it has a purpose where does it get attached? I was thinking possibly a ground, but assumed they wouldn't work if not grounded already.

It's late now and I'm going to take the tail off tomorrow to see if all of the molex connectors are securely attached. I thought I gave it a good run down before reassembly, but apparently I missed something.

Thanks for everyone's help that contributes.

Last edited by MNbeardie; 03-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.
MNbeardie is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally got back out to test the battery. I've never seen this before....

Key off - 11.13v
Key on - 10.67v
push ignition - 2.3v and it sounds like relays going nuts all over. clickclickclickclick
MNbeardie is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,467
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbeardie View Post
Finally got back out to test the battery. I've never seen this before....

Key off - 11.13v
Key on - 10.67v
push ignition - 2.3v and it sounds like relays going nuts all over. clickclickclickclick
If your battery is at 11v, it's effectively dead.
Was this before or after you've charged it?
If before, throw in on a charger.
If its' after charging, your battery has a dead cell.
If the battery voltage shows ok after charging, put a voltmeter across the posts while the engine is running. It should measure 14-15v, but not 15.5v.
SubSailor is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,467
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbeardie View Post
ECU connections appear to be in perfect condition. Power Commander should be arriving later this week.

There were 3 wires going into each of the OEM brake lights. Green, Brown, Green/yellow tracer. The green wire wasn't mentioned in the Hotbodies directions and the lights work normal without it.

What is the purpose of this wire? If it has a purpose where does it get attached? I was thinking possibly a ground, but assumed they wouldn't work if not grounded already.

It's late now and I'm going to take the tail off tomorrow to see if all of the molex connectors are securely attached. I thought I gave it a good run down before reassembly, but apparently I missed something.

Thanks for everyone's help that contributes.
Green = Ground
Green/Yellow = Brake lights
Black/Brown = Tailight

Orange = Right rear turn signal
Light Blue = Left rear turn signal
SubSailor is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the brake light and turn signals share a ground on the hot bodies? I would assume so since there is only 1 ground coming out of each side. That means I will have 2 factory ground wires spare because the factory turn signals were separate.

Yep, batter is D E A D. Charged it myself and tested. Then brought it to the shop and played dumb (wasn't hard). They couldn't get it to hold a charge at all. Looks like I'm off to do some battery shopping. Cross my fingers and hope this is the final solution. That would mean I just have bad luck and that I did the "easy" undertail hook ups correctly. Also, after thinking back... this battery is 7 years old and has NEVER been brought it or put on a tender for winterization.

Last edited by MNbeardie; 04-01-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: battery info
MNbeardie is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,467
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbeardie View Post
So the brake light and turn signals share a ground on the hot bodies? I would assume so since there is only 1 ground coming out of each side. That means I will have 2 factory ground wires spare because the factory turn signals were separate.

Yep, batter is D E A D. Charged it myself and tested. Then brought it to the shop and played dumb (wasn't hard). They couldn't get it to hold a charge at all. Looks like I'm off to do some battery shopping. Cross my fingers and hope this is the final solution. That would mean I just have bad luck and that I did the "easy" undertail hook ups correctly. Also, after thinking back... this battery is 7 years old and has NEVER been brought it or put on a tender for winterization.
Yes, the undertail uses a common ground.
On mine, the colors were:
Black = Ground
Blue = Taillight
Red= Brake lights
Orange = one each for left and right signal
SubSailor is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Put the new battery in .. Proton blinkers and Hotbodies undertail lights were about twice as bright as the old battery. Those Proton blinkers are blinding at night, good god!

Gonna wait to take it for a ride when a buddy is available to tow me if something goes bad.
MNbeardie is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
If your battery is at 11v, it's effectively dead.
Was this before or after you've charged it?
If before, throw in on a charger.
If its' after charging, your battery has a dead cell.
If the battery voltage shows ok after charging, put a voltmeter across the posts while the engine is running. It should measure 14-15v, but not 15.5v.
So if the new battery is only showing 11.90v while running I may have an issue with my charging system?
MNbeardie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome