Noob with Lighting question... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noob with Lighting question...

My buddy just purchased a 2001 RC 51... but it has a few problems. The break lights do not work, and when we got into it, it turns out that somebody hacked the wiring pretty bad. There appears to be some sort of "taillight converter" that combines the stop, turn and tail lights into the taillights under the tail.
I traced the brake wires and found then hacked up and taped off.... the problem is that I do not schematic for the converter box. Its a black plastic covered box with 10 wires coming in/out of it. There is no manufacturer markings and the wires are not marked with anything but the wire size and volt/amp rating, except for "Beldon" (NAPA brand electrical??). Any ideas on where to find a schematic?

Any help would be greatly appresheated!! I can post some pics if it would help!!
Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Download the service manual here:
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

The wiring diagrams for both SP1 and SP2 are there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 PM

I have the same black box/ converter, which still works perfectly. I'll have a look tomorrow and post how it is wired.

Lean it over a bit more and twist it. Niiice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies...

Thanks Subsailor. I found that link earlier and used the wiring diagram to identify all of the hacked factory wires. This allowed me to locate the short in the front brake switch and the blown fuse. I was also able to locate the the brake light wire that should be feeding the "Convertor box" thingie...

Rocket, I would be grateful if you would look at how your box is wired. Specifically the Green and Yellow brake wire > the box. I have 2 of the 10 wires on the "converter box" unused, but I have never been a fan of "just hooking something up" to see if it works...

Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Just looked at mine. I have only 9- wires. The black converter has 2- white wires and 2- brown wires NOT connected. The yellow wire is for the left turn and the green is for the right turn. I have the Hotbodies Undertail, so the one red wire goes to the common on the brake/ tail lights. I have the instructions that came with the black converter, but can't find (will keep looking). If you look really close at the black converter it has the description of what each wire is. Basically if your RC was wired without the black converter and you installed it between the wire harness and lights that would be it. I hope this sort of helps. I will post as soon as I find instructions.

Lean it over a bit more and twist it. Niiice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rocket!!
I am at a disadvantage, as there are 10 wires coming from the integrator box. There is no name (brand) on the tail light or the box. The wires are not marked at all.
I tried to apply power to the two wires that are not connected, and the lights did not luminate... So I'm leaning toward installing a new integrator. I'm looking at a MD Wright unit, as it can be purchased individually (without purchaseing the kit). At about $50.00, I think it will be the best solution for the issue at hand.
I also have to relace the front brake switch as well as it is "sticking" when the lever is pulled. You have to "wiggle" the lever to get the switch to "release". I assume this is why the brake lights were not connected in the first place.
Thanks again for your help!!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode