Hyperplates & slipper clutch DO NOT mix - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hyperplates & slipper clutch DO NOT mix

I had a set of hardened alu. Hyperplates in my clutch. Seemed okay before I put the Yoyodyne slipper clutch in. This past race weekend I kept noticing that i was hitting a lot of false neutrals between gears... kept getting worse & worse. Before my finals I decided to pull the clutch and see what was up.

All of the 5 metal plates had scorch marks on them... 3 spots on each plate roughly 120 apart. 3 of the metal plates had fractures in those same 3 spots per plate. A simple flex was all that was needed to snap the plates. The cross section showed the scorching went all the way through and weakened the plates severely.

I figure that the clutch would likely have grenaded at some point, locked up the wheel, and launched me into low earth orbit. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I should have known better... from now on its OEM plates (fibres and steels) all the way.

I'll try to post pictures soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennCauley View Post
I had a set of hardened alu. Hyperplates in my clutch. Seemed okay before I put the Yoyodyne slipper clutch in. This past race weekend I kept noticing that i was hitting a lot of false neutrals between gears... kept getting worse & worse. Before my finals I decided to pull the clutch and see what was up.

All of the 5 metal plates had scorch marks on them... 3 spots on each plate roughly 120 apart. 3 of the metal plates had fractures in those same 3 spots per plate. A simple flex was all that was needed to snap the plates. The cross section showed the scorching went all the way through and weakened the plates severely.

I figure that the clutch would likely have grenaded at some point, locked up the wheel, and launched me into low earth orbit. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I should have known better... from now on its OEM plates (fibres and steels) all the way.

I'll try to post pictures soon.
Glenn,
Forgive me for being a little slow on the up-take, but are you saying it was the combination of the slipper clutch along with the aluminum plates that would have caused major problems? I'm asking because I run a Yoyodine Slipper and while I hit false neutrals now and again I never thought about failure of the system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisanoracer View Post
Glenn,
Forgive me for being a little slow on the up-take, but are you saying it was the combination of the slipper clutch along with the aluminum plates that would have caused major problems? I'm asking because I run a Yoyodine Slipper and while I hit false neutrals now and again I never thought about failure of the system.
A few things I put together after the fact. Maybe just coincidence, but..

a) When used OEM clutch with alum plates, all was good.
b) Instructions for slipper said to use STANDARD clutch plates.
c) I was doing clutchless downshifts at some points. I know: d'uh
d) Racing buddy confirmed that slippers should be used with steel plates.

I was starting to hit a LOT of false neutrals between any gears... and it was getting worse. Wait until you see the pics.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yeah I've heard of this on other forums as well.
Possibly due to additional heat buildup from the slipping action(?).
Better to be safe and stick to steel.

I'm currently using Hyperplates without any slipper clutch and I immediately noticed smooth shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd.
So for street use, they seem to work as advertised.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, Hyperplates is no longer in business... What a waste of my money.

Got full OEM clutch pack on the way in 2 days. hehehe
That and some adjustment to my quick shifter to help with the false neutrals issue (too sensitive) and all should be good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

For better or worse I'm always looking for a "better mousetrap" when it comes to the mods (just ask Sub). I think I'll stick to whats been working, slipper with OE plates. THANKS for the follow up. Good advice...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM

I have a lot of bikes and have races for years. I won't use hyperplates. Lots of alum in the oil is not good.
And stop with the clutchless downshifts. Transmission repairs are spendy. I can show you pictures.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Aluminium plates cant go with the slipper..This is what the manufacture informed me..Its a bad combo

1/6 HRC Fast Trottle,Scorpion SS Slipon Race Can,15/42(530) Afam Sprocket,PC3 WZ Yoshi Mapp,Brembo RCS Master Pump,After Market Brake Line, Flapper Valve Mod,Pair Removal Mod,Rumble Under Tray,RockWall Clipon,Endurance Race Fairing,
Hyper Pro 3D Shock,Turnone Kevlar Airbox & Carbon Intake, Hyper Pro Height Raiser Kit,Hyper Pro Linear Fork Spring,Harris Rear Set, CF Stator & Clutch Cover..more to come..., Slipper Clutch,Radiator Scoop,Factory Pro Shift Kit,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Anyone wanted to sell of their slipper ...he..he

1/6 HRC Fast Trottle,Scorpion SS Slipon Race Can,15/42(530) Afam Sprocket,PC3 WZ Yoshi Mapp,Brembo RCS Master Pump,After Market Brake Line, Flapper Valve Mod,Pair Removal Mod,Rumble Under Tray,RockWall Clipon,Endurance Race Fairing,
Hyper Pro 3D Shock,Turnone Kevlar Airbox & Carbon Intake, Hyper Pro Height Raiser Kit,Hyper Pro Linear Fork Spring,Harris Rear Set, CF Stator & Clutch Cover..more to come..., Slipper Clutch,Radiator Scoop,Factory Pro Shift Kit,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode