Dymag wheels - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dymag wheels

I recently picked up a set of used Dymag cast magnesium wheels for my '04 and finally got them on the bike. Holy smokes, what a nice difference! Easier to turn, but really makes a difference when going back and forth, like through esses. I like the silver better than the OEM black, too. If you can get your paws on any sort of lighter wheels, go for it. Carbon wheels must really be crazy. Thanks Mark!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM

not to shit on your parade but i heard that the dymag cast wheels had a problem with exploding. have you ever heard this?

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Be sure to inspect your wheels often.
Magnesium is light, but a very reactive metal that also tends to creep over time.
Be sure to check for corrosion around bolt holes and re-torque if needed.
Magnesium really reacts around titanium, so be sure to use anti-seize or thread locker with Ti bolts threaded into magnesium.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

have not had a issue with my dymag mag/carbon wheels on my RC for 8 years so far and i have another set of their mags on my RC30 without issue and i have owned several other mag wheels from marchi and dymag and never had one issue with any of them either

that being said i also own 4 sets of carrozzeria aluminums and they are perfect despite what others might say too
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Good to hear about the reliability.
Never having owned magnesium wheels, it's always good to separate hearsay from fact.
My Marchesini aluminum wheels have been stellar in performance.
I have had my eye on Carrozzeria Tri-R wheels since they were announced.

As an FYI, Dymag went into bankruptcy last year, but was bought by CSA Performance Wheels of Singapore. They are still made in the UK.
http://www.csaperformancewheels.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:53 PM

i knew i read it. I think it was when j. dunlops rear wheel exploded at the nw 200 or isle of man. Dymag recalled all the mag wheels but this was alot of years ago so im sure they got it worked out. did this contribute to the bankruptcy?

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin chief View Post
i knew i read it. I think it was when j. dunlops rear wheel exploded at the nw 200 or isle of man. Dymag recalled all the mag wheels but this was alot of years ago so im sure they got it worked out. did this contribute to the bankruptcy?
I'm pretty sure the economy contributed to the change of ownership.
Pretty much like most businesses these days.
If you look at the current prices Marchesini charges for their aluminum wheels (much less magnesium) you'll see my point.

Used to be BST wheels were way higher (about a $1000) than Marchesini magnesium wheels. Now they're almost at parity (BST came down in price while Marchesini went up).

That's why I've been keeping my eye on the Carrozzeria Tri-R wheels, where you have almost the weight of magnesium but made of aluminum, and the price is still reasonable by even today's standards.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
I recently picked up a set of used Dymag cast magnesium wheels for my '04 and finally got them on the bike. Holy smokes, what a nice difference! Easier to turn, but really makes a difference when going back and forth, like through esses. I like the silver better than the OEM black, too. If you can get your paws on any sort of lighter wheels, go for it. Carbon wheels must really be crazy. Thanks Mark!!
Congratulations on your wheels, I went the BST route with Michelin Power Pure tires, and loving it.

John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to keep an eye on them, but so far so good. They'll need some new Pilot Pures soon, then I can finally make the jump to 190/55. My only issue is the wheel came with a 42-tooth rear sprocket, and the bolt pattern is different than the standard 520 conversion I bought, so I think I need a Kawi sprocket. As is, it fits pretty far up in the swingarm, I'm wondering if the 55 tire will fit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

i can get you deals on carrozzerias too FWIW

BST's rock if you can swing it but good ole alums are fine on the 51 as the OEM wheels weigh a ton and it is a great mod IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode