power commander II vs power commander III - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
power commander II vs power commander III

I just bought a 2000 RC51. the power on the bottom seems a bit rough and I have been reading about lowering the gearing and running a power comander to help this out a bit.

I only paid $1100 for the bike as it was supposed to have a bunch a wiring issues but it just needed a battery and a couple wires taped up as a mouse had eaten away the insulation of the wire. I was looking at picking up a used power commander as I am into the thing so cheap.

The power commander II plugs right into the ECM so it would install easier. the power commander III has direct injector control and plugs into the injector and a couple other places.

on a stock bike is there any advantage to the power commander III? or should I just get the cheaper power commander II. I can pick up a power comander II for $175 or a IIIr for $200. the only mods this bike will see are power comander and might change the front or front and rear sprockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:32 AM

Hi Hognutz,
Welcome !
For the little extra $$ between the two go with the PCIII. As one of the biggest issues with the early RCs is the fuelling. The III give a smoother injector setting even better if when you put on different sprockets you get it dynoed & mapped.

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is Optional......
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to fishfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
The power commander III has direct injector control and plugs into the injector and a couple other places.
Really? I have a PCIII and its a direct plug in. Took less than 15 mins to install.

For the tiny bit extra $$? the PCIII is the better choice.

Mods: Erion Cans, flapper valve system removed, PAIR removed, Turn One airbox, PCIII usb with custom map

130.8 Bhp & 76.7 Ft/lb torque @ the wheel

I live with fear everyday........but sometimes she lets me race!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
From the meager info I've been able to find, the PCII was a less sophisticated unit than the PCIII series.
The PCIIIr has the same injector timing connectors as the PCIIIUSB, but also has an extra connector that interconnects with the ignition pulse generator since it had the capability to alter ignition timing.
The PCIIIUSB doesn't have that connector, only the ones that interconnect with the ECU and injector harness.
The PCIIIr is also smaller than the PCIIIUSB, probably almost the size of the PCV.
I have no idea why the PCIIIUSB is so much larger (approx. 30%) than the IIIr or V.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

well I was able to get the guy down to $150 on the PCII so I am trying that as I took a wile for people to chime in.

I will see how it goes and if I don't like it I will resell it and try the PCIII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode