Track day setup questions? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Track day setup questions?

Taking the monster to Grattan on July 31 and Aug 1, and was curious what others setups are on track days? Stock forks, Yoshimura exhuast, map from powercommander, stock brakes. I hear a 190/55 makes the rear set higher, better for cornering? My front forks are all the way to the top on the triple tree, I was wondering if anyone lowered theirs for better cornering and how far? I weigh 202 at 6', and I know suspension setup is gonna be a ride&adjust when I get there. But any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM

I have never been on the track! But, I've been to the track and have talked to the suspension guys there! Next time I make it to the local track to watch, I want to have my CBR's suspension set up for me! Seems like its one of the best mods you can do for you and your bike! With that being said, talk to the suspension guys when you do your track day at Grattan! They'll steer you in the right direction! Most other RC owners have told me the forks set up nicely, it's the rear shock thats junk! But, I'll keep my stock stuff for now on it! LOL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM

If your fork tubes are flush with the triple clamp you're actually higher than stock, which will slow your steering slightly. The front of mine is lowered 3mm and I shimmed the rear shock up 5mm with a 190/55 rear tire and I really like it. You're not really going to get your sag right at your weight (same as me) with stock springs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yeah stock the forks are with the first line flush with the top triple clamp.
The 190/55 rear tire is not only a few millimeters taller, but the profile is more pointy.
This really helps the turn response over the more flatter 190/50.
Is this your first track day? If so, they'll probably put in a orientation group for a while.
The best advise is not to worry about the other riders, just have fun, and perfect your technique.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

This will be my first Track day, I have to begin in the Novice class first. But day 2 I am allowed to move up to Intermediate, if I want. Novice I have to follow no passing, thats why I am considering Intermediate for day 2. Just so I can pass at my own pace, but I really dont want to lay my baby down.lol Thats why I'm really curious about the suspension setups everyone else is running. Appreciate your input guys, it will help me out alot!
Mods--flapper removed,pair system blocked,Yoshimura exhaust, powercommander map, K&N air filter,undertail, -1 front +2 rear sprockets, 520 EK colored chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode