sp1 swingarm and rear shock upgrade path - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sp1 swingarm and rear shock upgrade path

hey guys, been researching but it seems that the older threads that would probably have this info have been deleted.

i'm looking for the right upgrade path. i weigh 175, am debating whether i should upgrade the swingarm to the SP2, and while i'm at it, upgrade the read shock. i had an unfortunate lowside and the spool was installed, tearing the mount. it makes me wonder if the swingarm is tweaked, hence the consideration to go to the SP2 swingarm since i may need a new swingarm.

i understand that the sp2 swingarm will need some different hardware. since it is longer, i am also thinking that a new chain will be required, though i plan on going 1 tooth down to a 15t front sproket which would reduce overall chain length.

the other consideration is a new rear shock. currently there is a penske double clicker i am looking at. i don't think i'll be on track this year, an more likely is lots of around day to day riding as this is my daily. i do however get on it, so durability and performance both matter. perhaps a revalve?

so, here are the options

1. sp1 swingarm - requires no additional hardware, and going down a tooth means just removing a link of chain (or so).

2. sp1 swingarm + rear shock mod - i believe this is a good compromise, still won't need anymore chain for the sprocket.

3. sp2 swingarm + rear shock - most money outlay, probably the best set of hardware, but i wonder if the cost is worth it. i'm no hero on a bike, and my primary concern honestly is making sure i have a solid rear suspension setup to make the most of my modest bike talent. but if it isn't necessary to spend on the additional hardware and the hassle of sourcing and setting it up, i can instead get a new rear tire.

open to thoughts as to the most efficient upgrade path.

the serious commuter, featured on the rogue website homepage.

also - Evo IX, E85, ecu controlled boost, and too much front camber for sensible street use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
When I talked to LDH about all this, his recommendation was a SP1 swingarm, Kyle link and Ohlins. When I told him I was installing a SP2 swingarm, he suggested to not using the Kyle link with the Ohlins. He also said he only knows of one person who made the Penske work properly with the Kyle link (special valving done).

If money is an issue, I would stay with the SP1 swingarm and get the Penske. If you can afford an Ohlins, I would go that route.

Just my thoughts

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM

If you're just riding the street, I would go with the SP-1 swinger and upgrade the shock. I have an SP-1 with SP-2 suspension. I was thinking of getting the Dan Kyle link until I read this post. Is it not recommended for my set up?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
If you're just riding the street, I would go with the SP-1 swinger and upgrade the shock. I have an SP-1 with SP-2 suspension. I was thinking of getting the Dan Kyle link until I read this post. Is it not recommended for my set up?
LDH said the link ws developed for the SP1. When the SP2 came out, they fixed the problem.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM

What kind of hardware do you need to put an SP-2 swingarm on an SP-1?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM

I can't comment on this because it was done before I purchased my bike, but I'm curious as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM

hello, I have a swingarm sp2, about two months, in my sp1 ..

of all the changes I've made so far, this was without doubt the best, the bike is lighter curved, corner and against the curve, is much easier to turn ..

I'm no rossi, but I like to run hills, I rarely track and for me it was the best thing that changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode