vacuumed gas tank - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vacuumed gas tank

I did the flapper mod and removed the EVAP system (CA bike) on my RC last week, and plugged which lines I thought were necessary. Apparently I plugged a line to the gas tank that I shouldn't have, and the gas tank vacuum-crushed itself. The bike still ran, but I can't open the filler cap, and it looks like its been modded for stunting. Any ideas on how to fix it so I don't have to pony up for a new tank? Its a 2004 Hayden as well...DOH!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
I did the flapper mod and removed the EVAP system (CA bike) on my RC last week, and plugged which lines I thought were necessary. Apparently I plugged a line to the gas tank that I shouldn't have, and the gas tank vacuum-crushed itself. The bike still ran, but I can't open the filler cap, and it looks like its been modded for stunting. Any ideas on how to fix it so I don't have to pony up for a new tank? Its a 2004 Hayden as well...DOH!!
If you are careful and lucky you may be able to pressurize the tank and get it to pop out...be careful!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Probably gonna try that, but I've been told that most times other areas will bulge out, and unevenly. Looks like I'm in the market for a used tank, preferably from an 04 Hayden. Anybody know if SP-1 and SP-2 tanks are the same?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM

There probably is a chance of that but if you are in SoCal you can find someone qualified I am sure...I know some people would use water, some compressed air, I think. You might want to check with some of those guys who fix dented 2 stroke pipes, or maybe a body shop!

A couple of things to keep in mind, any tank from any year will work, but some early 2000 tanks leaked around the rear mount. If you order a 2004 Hayden tank from the dealer you have to provide a 2004 vin to them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
May be a long shot, but those painless dent repair places might be able to massage it out.
I've seen where they massaged out a sizable dent on a Kawasaki, but your tank may be too far gone.
It might be worth a look though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

My pal is a 2-stroke expert, he's the one that said "good luck" with air. Another friend does paintless dent removal though, so I'll hit him up, thats a great idea.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is probably late for you but for others with similar problems this may help.
If you pressurize it enough, given all gas and fumes are out, to create a force behind the surface but not enough to push out other areas, and knocking with a mallet on the right spot it will pop out. The trick is to knock on an adjacent area next to it, especially if there is a kink you hit right on the kink like trying to push it in. By repeating those shocks to it can make it pop out. If not, and this is hard on the RC as there is just a little space under the cap, bend a thick wire or pipe with a bulby kind of weight at the end and knock it from the inside with possibly some kind of suction from the outside. The third and least recommended method is to drill a tiny hole and use a screw pulling hammer on it. This is something bodyshops use to pull out dents. It is a 2' rod with a sliding weight on it and a screw attached to the end. You screw it in and push the weight out and when it reaches the end it pulls the screw with the panel out. Good luck epoxying the hole so it will not leak again!

The RC tank, may seem heavy but it is made out of thin soft steel and it pops back into shape easier than others, don't ask how I know!

A good thing about vacuum is that it is eaven pressure everywhere, so the weakest part caved in. This does not mean it is the weakest part now, as the force is on the opposite direction and the shape has changed.

Last edited by ZeroGara; 01-11-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode