RC51 Forums banner

Anyone using Pipercross foam filter? Doesn't seem like it will work? Other brand?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  twvette 
#1 ·
Foam cleanable filters are the way to go for intake filters in the sand where I use my vehicle. The only one I can find so far is by Pipeprcross. Contacted a seller and they sent me a pic.

This really does not look like it will work as see no bracketry to hold it on place. Any ideas how they might be making this filter stay on?

Or, anyone else making a foam type or even a gauze type that uses synthetic material rather than cotton?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Uni-Filter makes foam outer sleeves that fit over K&N filters.
Are you using the OEM airbox?

Uni-Filter also makes sheets of their foam filters in three different filtration types, from coarse to fine.
Usually you layer the sheets with a coarse outer and fine inner, or even very coarse, less coarse, and fine for progressive filtration.

#4 ·
Were definetly on the same page. I used Uni material to make a custom prefilter my original Polaris setup intake setup before I put in the RC51. From this pre filter I then used a Uni folter that also had the pre filter on it. Sure wish UNI made one for the RC51. Now that I say theat they do custom projects so maybe they can hack up my OEM Honda filters to remove the paper and replace with foam. Once I figure out the foam filter solution I will in some way also integrate the Outerwears pre filter material at the inlet to keep most the large sand particles stay out of the intake as mentioned in my other post on this subject.

Will investigate the foam pre filte for K&N also as was not aware of that ... thanks.

#3 ·
Yeah, using OEM box. I might be stuck using it too based on the way it is integrated into my vehicle and my seats barely fit around it already so cant go bigger.

#5 ·
I've been running the pipercross filters for almost 3 years now. There wasn't a noticable difference in power, but it's great to be able to clean them. The bracketry on the stock filters isn't used, the filters mount using the rubber boot through the airbox opening. They are DIFFICULT to get into place but absolutely secure once they're in there. I clean mine just like a dirtbike filter using the solvent and then reoiling them with foam filter oil.

#6 ·
Thanks for the detailed info. I ordered them last week so gives me some confidence.

#7 ·
Dont think this filter is for me. I fought with it for a while and never even got close to getting it in the hole. The outside diameter is so much larger than the stock. I really dont get the design of this filter as not seeing the point of the groove in the middle of the seal as there is nothing for it to grab onto either. Maybe it is for another bike but somehow got it to work on the RC51? Here are some pics if I am overlooking something:

Dont understand the sealing surface design/groove in the middle:

It is so large the oem filter inlet easily slips into this one which has an additional lare lip:

Just dont see how this filter really grabs onto anything ... its a completely smoother surface on the airbox opening:

Sure wish this filter would fit as desired as it seems like an extremly good quality filter. If I can change it easily there is really no point for me as I have to clean frequently offroad.

#9 ·
I would have stuck with stock for on road but in the sand where I use mine you just go through them too fast and need one that is cleanable. Foam also works alot better for sand and silt. I did go ahead and buy the K&N even though I am not a fan of them in general as there are way better media these days than cotton but with the foam insert they include it should work good and atleast Ican clean it. More power is not what I am going for ... as far as I am concerned I got plenty as the original engine put down 33 to the wheels and I know I am at about triple that now at my rear wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.