Rear Rotor Clearance Issues, Wheel Swap Issues - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Rotor Clearance Issues, Wheel Swap Issues

I just began to swap some SP-1 wheels onto my SP-2.

Problem A) When I put the rear wheel assembly together, the rotor is extremely close to the caliper bracket. I did not bother to look at this before I took it apart, so I don't remember how it went. Is this normal? The rotor is machined so that the actually braking surface is kind of 'off set" if that makes any sense. But the side that says "drive" and indicates the direction is on the outside (the side that the surface is machined away from the swingarm).

Problem B) This is less of a problem, and probably just human error

When putting the front axle and wheel back on, there is a little line on the left side of the axle with two little holes. That line should be flush with the edge of the forks, correct? How do I stop the axle from "sucking into the forks when I tighten the bolt? Is there a special tool, or do I just stick something through the two holes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The two holes in the front axle are there to slide a bar or phillips head screwdriver into to aid in removing the axle (like a makeshift T-handle).
The wheel spacers (if correct) will not allow the axle to slide in further than the index line around the axle. If it can, something is not right.
Also the spacers should not allow the forks to flex inward when the axle nut is tightened.
That will cause the forks to bind up.

The rear caliper uses only a single piston, so it must be able to slide laterally to apply force to the rotor. You might try pushing the piston back into the caliper to create some space to install the caliper over the rotor when installing.
Again the wheel spacers should not allow the swingarm to be excessively flexed inward when tightening the axle nut.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, subsailor. I will inspect everything again.

I just used the wheel spacers and all hardware from the Sp-2 wheels on the Sp-1 wheels. Is that alright, or will there be issues?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Shouldn't be, but always check to be sure.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

My friend, who was helping me with it, says he figured it out alright. I will post up the solution when we get around to finishing it. Hopefully, sometime Thursday.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Wheels spacer from SP-2 wheel was still in wheel! Found it, pulled it out. All good now.

Thanks for help!!!

Broke rivet pushing tool on new chain trying to make a "masterlink-less" chain. Ended up using master link, but cut chain a tad too long so we will go back and shorten it and hopefully do it right this time.

Lastly this bike is getting tracked so I will be selling off all my plastics and head lights and all that stuff. So once I'm ready, I will post up pictures and prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode