Squidskinz airbox - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Squidskinz airbox

Anybody have any exp with the squidskinz airbox. Anything I should watch out for? How does it compare with the thorstens, turn-ones etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I bought a SquidSkins airbox recently.
The difference between it and the Turn-One or Durbahn airboxes is the S.S. airbox is based on the Moriwaki airbox and is a closed top type (has a cover) vs the open top airboxes like T-O or Durbahn which use the fuel tank as the top of the airbox.

It had more volume than the OEM airbox, but less volume than the open top types.
I have two issues with mine currently. One, the cover latches were not to my liking as I removed them and was going to replace them with some quality spring type draw latches.
Unfortunately I found the openings for the throttle body mounts were made too large, so I'm going to give James a call at SquidSkins to find out what the issue is.

In the mean time, here's some photos of the airbox.

Airbox with cover, left side

Airbox with cover, right side

Airbox inlet view without cover in place

Airbox bottom view

Airbox left side view with cover top

Airbox interior view with interior view of cover

Interior comparison of SquidSkins airbox vs Turn-One airbox

Comparison of inlet area of SquidSkins airbox vs Turn-One airbox
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
WOW I just noticed there is not a filter (if that is what you want to call them) on the front.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics Sub. One more question. Granted the turn-one has more volume, but is an open top which uses your tank as a seal, correct? If so, during cornering and hard acceleration would you not get frame flex which in turn lose your seal? As I understand these are meant to create a pressurized system,. Frame flex would break that seal causing a pressure drop which = horsepower drop? Am I wrong with this thought process?

Looks like you have a spare turn-one laying around Sub. I could take that off your hands free of charge

Last edited by Rugid; 12-12-2010 at 12:24 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
WOW I just noticed there is not a filter (if that is what you want to call them) on the front.
You're correct, there's no filtration system. I asked and the usual method is to insert a filter such as Unifilter foam between the airbox and the frame outlet.
Not exactly easy to maintain in my book as you have remove the airbox to clean the filter. So I was pondering an internal filtration system instead.
Unfortunately I discovered the problem with the throttle body openings.
So for the time being, I have three options.
1. Modify my Turn-One airbox to adapt it to my ETI fuel cell (the whole reason behind the SS airbox).
2. Modify the OEM aribox, or
3. Just remount the OEM airbox.

I had ordered the SS airbox initially due to Brett at Turn-One had ceased production. I didn't want to carve up an irreplaceable airbox.
However, he has resume production. So I may now try and modify it to fit the ETI fuel cell.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugid View Post
Thanks for the pics Sub. One more question. Granted the turn-one has more volume, but is an open top which uses your tank as a seal, correct? If so, during cornering and hard acceleration would you not get frame flex which in turn lose your seal? As I understand these are meant to create a pressurized system,. Frame flex would break that seal causing a pressure drop which = horsepower drop? Am I wrong with this thought process?

Looks like you have a spare turn-one laying around Sub. I could take that off your hands free of charge
If you're frame is flexing enough to break the airbox seal, filtration will the least of your worries.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM

What issues does the Turn One have with the ETI fuel cell? I have the turn one box, and am going to buy the fuel cell. Fill me in!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
You're correct, there's no filtration system. I asked and the usual method is to insert a filter such as Unifilter foam between the airbox and the frame outlet.
Not exactly easy to maintain in my book as you have remove the airbox to clean the filter. So I was pondering an internal filtration system instead.
Unfortunately I discovered the problem with the throttle body openings.
So for the time being, I have three options.
1. Modify my Turn-One airbox to adapt it to my ETI fuel cell (the whole reason behind the SS airbox).
2. Modify the OEM aribox, or
3. Just remount the OEM airbox.

I had ordered the SS airbox initially due to Brett at Turn-One had ceased production. I didn't want to carve up an irreplaceable airbox.
However, he has resume production. So I may now try and modify it to fit the ETI fuel cell.
Sub, you forgot option 4 - sell the ETI to me . What about putting foam filter media inside the front intake? I was concerned about the HUGE hole straight to the screen on the front of my air box. So I bought some foam used on the skid plates of dirt bikes. Cut it to fit and used some light oil (similar to the air filter on dirt bikes). It will at least stop the bugs.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbear View Post
What issues does the Turn One have with the ETI fuel cell? I have the turn one box, and am going to buy the fuel cell. Fill me in!
The bottom contours of the ETI fuel cell do not match those of the OEM fuel tank. the OEM tank is stamped and welded whereas the ETI tank is molded.
So the ETI tank is more rounded in areas where the OEM tank has sharper corners.
It will entail some reshaping of the T-O airbox and the front seal to allow a seal.
And I haven't yet checked on the side seals for compatibility yet.
The ETI airbox is rounded in that area as well compared to the sharp edge of the OEM tank weld joint.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Sub, you forgot option 4 - sell the ETI to me . What about putting foam filter media inside the front intake? I was concerned about the HUGE hole straight to the screen on the front of my air box. So I bought some foam used on the skid plates of dirt bikes. Cut it to fit and used some light oil (similar to the air filter on dirt bikes). It will at least stop the bugs.
Let's see....hmmm....nope I don't see option 4 on that list.

There are greater weight losses with the ETI tank than with the airbox (about 7.5 lbs).
So at the very least, the ETI tank with OEM airbox still nets me 7.5 lb loss of polar mass.
At the very best, the ETI tank with T-O airbox nets me a 10 lb loss of polar mass.
The ETI tank with SS airbox will net me just a bit less weight than with OEM airbox, but will have more volume.
However my SS airbox currently has a "slight" manufacturing problem with overly large holes for the throttle bodies.
Definitely entailing a followup phone call.

I got about 6 times more done back in '08 than this year. The year of the easier stuff.
This year is the year of the 90/10 rule. The year of the difficult stuff..

Last edited by SubSailor; 12-13-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode