Thinking about a project - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about a project

I have a 2003 RC. Itís got about 7100 miles now. I bought it with 6000. The bike had been dropped and has some damage to the exhaust and a few cracks on the fairings. I am thinking about stripping this bike all the way down, and rebuilding it from the ground up. If I do this I will be replacing all the damaged stuff. I don't think I am going to custom the crap out of it. It has a few mods already. The basic slip on exhaust power commander leavers and such. I will mostly be trying to clean up things and fix or replace worn parts. However the exhaust tube on the right side has a big dent in it and it drives me nutz, for some reason I always find myself looking at it. So I am thinking about putting a full exhaust on it. Would it be cheaper to replace the factory exhaust with new slip on mufflers or to just get a full system? Also how much should I expect to invest in doing a project like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Site Sponsor

Unless you get a smokin' deal on a used full system, new ones are probably going to be $2K from Akrapovic... if you can find 'em anymore. Do slip ons, unless you have a modded motor, there's no point for a full system.
Power commander, gearing and slip ons (and maybe airbox/snorkel) are about the best things you can do to the RC without going crazy or breaking the bank.
Good luck, save pictures and post of progress!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51parts.com View Post
Unless you get a smokin' deal on a used full system, new ones are probably going to be $2K from Akrapovic... if you can find 'em anymore. Do slip ons, unless you have a modded motor, there's no point for a full system.
Power commander, gearing and slip ons (and maybe airbox/snorkel) are about the best things you can do to the RC without going crazy or breaking the bank.
Good luck, save pictures and post of progress!
yosh full exhaust made more power then slip-ons in the mid to top

FWIW i have sold new fulls for around $1600 new

i also can sell you custom made fulls in low, mid or high mount as well as low mount or banzai mount slip-ons with custom built mufflers

around $800 for slips and $1500 for fulls

i have a standard motor and would not get rid of the full for anything.

try some searches and you will see there is a point to fulls on this bike

Last edited by Mrgrn; 12-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Banned

best mods are wheels, slip-ons and a PC

drop a tooth off the front and do a free flapper mod

IMO the snorkle and airbox are near a grand and far less important a mod for our bike vs losing weight and getting the forks done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode