Question - Swingarm Swap Fabricated Spacer - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question - Swingarm Swap Fabricated Spacer

So,

I don't have my engine back, and was just doing a quick dry fit with the new '02+ Swingarm. I grabbed the new sleeves (2) I had fabricated which are:

ID: 20mm
OD: 25mm
Flange: 3mm Thick x 31mm OD at one end of each individual Sleeve
Total Length: 88mm (includes flange)

When I try to dry fit them in between the swingarm they don't fit, and appear to be.....about 2.4mm to long. Is that supposed to be right, or did I have them made to long. It's almost like they will stick out from the engine case when I install them.

I found a couple threads on Speedzilla about this, but for whatever reason I have not been given clearance yet to view photos (it's been 9 months), which would answer my question. I hope somebody here can clear it up for me. Once the photos were posted on Speedzilla, the thread creater said thanks, and there were no further posts. So the photos must have made things clear.

i read that some people bevelled the flanges to help make installing the Swingarm easier, which kinda tells me it's right and the Swingarm actually ends up spreading apart that 2.4mm(approx) when installed for a good rigid fitment.

I also heard there was a DVD about the install, but I have searched all over and found nothing.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I can't believe I missed this, so I might have found the answer myself....

Quote:

2 identical sleeves 20mm ID, 25mm OD for 85mm with 3mm thick x 31mm OD flange at one end (88mm total sleeve length)

These are inserted into each side of the engine, but the flange on the right now means there is not enough space to fit the swing-arm, so replace the steel spacer beside the right hand swing-arm bearing, (originally 23mm long) with a 20mm version (aluminium should be fine, it only runs in a seal, not the bearing), which ensures the overall length is now as original.

end of Quote -

Can anyone confirm this information, considering what I found, it makes a whole ton of sense. I can't really imagine having the swingarm spread apart 2.4mm-3mm to do this install. So me thinks I found the answer.

If this is right, I'm wondering if you want to quickly add this small detail to your Swingarm Swap Document (Appendix C) Ben.

Thanks again,

Someone add some insightful stuff here, cause I'm a little confused
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Chris,

you're on the right path, and it sounds like the motor is out of the frame.
My suggestion would be to machine that 3mm flange down to the 25mm O.D. of the sleeve.
Generally speaking, if you haven't pulled the motor out, the sleeves are inserted into either side of the motor, thus allowing you to adjust the pivot bolt screws and spacers, up to the sleeves.
This is why you use the OEM spacers. They are designed to take up the slack and not spread the swingarm.
The pics of the sleeves on my website are made exactly for this reason.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Nick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.hrc_spw.webgate.net.au
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode